The Sewing Place

Why is it..

Efemera

Why is it..
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
So hard to find nice patterned jersey fabrics at a reasonable price....I love Art Gallery prints but not at £20 a meter... lots of patterns about but I don’t want unicorns or dinosaurs on my chest!

Tamnymore

Re: Why is it..
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
Hmm I know what you mean but somehow it shouldn't be that hard. Liberty does lovely jersey and you can sometimes find it quite reasonably priced on ebay. Try searching on Dufour jersey. Otherwise you mighr need a trip to a bricks and mortar fabric emporium. Are you anywhere within striking distance of Dewsbury @Efemera ? I heartily recommend a trip to Fabworks. They also have an online shop but it doesn't have all the stock of the real shop.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:34 AM »
I buy as I see nice jersey/stretch, because ten to one, if you need it you'll never find anything to suit at a reasonable price.

That is why I have a stash that is the size of a small country!  >< :S ;)

The Textile Centre often has nice stretch fabrics, also Regency Rags.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
I go to Fabworks but they’ve not had much the last few times .. I keep scouring tinterweb but not found anything exciting... I’m sick to death of black

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »
I've just had a look at Regency Rags, and the Textile Centre, and both have some nice jeseys/stretch in.

A few really naff ones too though!  ;)

The prices are really good though.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
Regency Rags does have a good selection of jerseys and they are cheap but they often don't know the fibre content of their fabrics. I've had cotton, viscose and poly jersey from them all just listed as jersey.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 13:26:15 PM »
Have a look at this Ebay seller:

rosebud_wine (4140 )

I have had several nice pieces from her and have been pleased with all of them. They are often short pieces - 1.40m ish (samples?) but she does also have some that are available by the metre.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 14:12:34 PM »
Here are the returns from a 'printed jersey' search on the Textile centre.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 17:04:49 PM »
Thanks folks... I’ve seen all those, I think I’m just being really picky, I want White Stuff/
Mantaray/ Fat Face type prints... just don’t think they are available...if I stop eating pies I’ll be able to get into White Stuff!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 17:14:21 PM »
I have been to Fabworks today and bought some Quilted Roses jersey in a silver grey, they have it in black on their website. Did you know that they don't always have the fabric in the shop that is on the website, the stuff in the shop tends to be one off roles and the website is were they sell the bulk stuff they get in.
I really went for lining for a jacket I am making but ended up with the Jersey some Paul Smith shirting and some purple check wool coating that had been reduced, it would have been rude not to. (Like I really need another coat/jacket)
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 17:44:19 PM »
Purple check wool coating reduced Fabworks.  You've just said all the words in the magic spell @sewmuchmore !

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 20:39:59 PM »
@sewmuchmore: the Textile centre is the same.  It has some bricks and mortar shops, but they are very small and only carry a tiny fraction of what is on the website.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 14:48:23 PM »
@Efemera what about Girl Charlee? http://www.girlcharlee.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 14:57:27 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet