The Sewing Place

Upgrading ..

Efemera

Upgrading ..
« on: February 19, 2018, 13:06:59 PM »
I’m thinking of upgrading my Janome 1000 coverstitch machine... what would folks recommend

Marniesews

Re: Upgrading ..
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:38:19 AM »
Depends why you're thinking of upgrading. If you're finding it rather fussy & having problems with skipped stitches (which is a complaint I often see in the coverstitch groups) then you'd find the Juki a refreshing change. You might find its Bernina twin (L220) as a used machine as it's been replaced by a Bernette, made by Jaguar. It has more attachments the other two but, having tried out a Jaguar overlocker a while ago I'm pretty confident it's more in the realms of cheap & cheerful than its Juki-made predecessor with its excellent build quality.

Babylock owners will tell you with overflowing confidence that nothing else is as good. I can't argue having never tried one but I entirely resent their prices, strongly suspecting that they upgrade their prices to reflect the aspirational cachet. I fear the same may be said of Bernina in some respects, which is why I bought used Bernina sewing machines.* .

*I should clarify that the L220 wasn't badly priced, hence I bought that particular Bernina new.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:43:41 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:59 AM »
(Every time I see the title of this thread my heart skips a beat.   :o  'Upgrading' is the dirtiest of words to anyone who works on websites or with software, and those dots after it .... scary ...    ;)  )
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
Depending on what you use the coverstitch machine to do and how much you make use of it, if you prefer to have the wide space to the right of the needles, your options are limited.

Last year our sewing group bought a Janome 200CPX and it's very good. 
With 3 needle and 2 needle coverstitch plus single needle chain stitch, variable stitch length and differential feed, the Janome 200CPX can do no more and no less than I can do with the coverstitch feature on my Babylock Evolution.
There's only 1 apparent difference between the Janome 100CPX and the Janome 200CPX and that is an additional Looper Tension feature for coverstitch so you can use either a tight setting or a loose setting depending on the fabric.  On the Janome 100CPX you may have the Seam Tightening Sysem which does
the same thing.

As you're talking about an upgrade, then maybe you're considering a machine that can do either top coverstitch or bottom coverstitch.
The Brother CV3550 has both top and bottom coverstitch. I haven't tried one yet so cannot comment although I noticed it has a tiny free arm feature.  Generally I very rarely bother with free arm features, but with the long foot on a coverstitch I can see the useful value of a free arm for hems on sleeves.
http://www.sewcompare.com/category/153/Brother_Coverstitch

A review on PR of the CV3550

A thread was started here on TSP about the CV3550 http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php?topic=2250.0 perhpas others who know this machine may add their experience.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:45:32 AM »
I used to have the Janome 1000, and upgraded to the Babylock BLCS2 - it's so much better, no more skipped stitches!  A lot of money, but worth it  0_0

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 18:42:25 PM »
I’m thinking of upgrading my Janome 1000 coverstitch machine... what would folks recommend
Will you be selling your Janome or part exchanging? I don't have a coverstitch but keep checking eBay for a second hand machine. I may be interested in buying it.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 18:47:47 PM »
Yes I will be selling it... I’ve just used it today so it works fine...I’m going on a Baby Lock intro day at the end of March, I’m considering the dual machine, it converts with the flick of a switch and it all air threading.
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/baby-lock-gloria-overlocker