The Sewing Place

Dealing with clients who don't turn up for booked appointments

Bloobell

Re: Dealing with clients who don't turn up for booked appointments
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 14:43:13 PM »
Sigh.....

Another no show. She contacted me on Friday asking about a dress being made for her for June 2nd. Now that's a tight ask as it is, but I thought, well we might as well have a chat about what she's looking for. Made the appointment for this morning, so there I go, putting away my 6 foot long folding table, the pattern I was working on, organising my other client's garments to cover them properly etc (I ask for no touching but you cannot guarantee they'll keep their hands off even then..) and vacuuming and tidying myself up. Ready to go, 15 mins before the appointment.

And nothing.

Not a call, not a text, not an email.

I have to sit and wait for 30 mins beyond the appointment just in case it's a "late" scenario rather than a no show, but eventually it's give up and put my workroom back to a functioning space again.

Ignorant, mannerless *&$%£

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 14:54:28 PM »
Bloobell, how bl***y rude!  Can you take a deposit when they make an appointment which would be non-refundable in the event of a no-show.  Obviously if the appointment is kept, the account could be creditted.

So sorry you've had such a waste of time.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bloobell

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 15:15:29 PM »
I've considered a deposit but I'm not sure how to implement it. I guess I could take a credit card number like a previous poster but it gets so complex and I'm not sure how you could do it legally. You'd almost need to have a contract or something, saying they agree that the deposit is non refundable in case of missed appointments etc. What if they didn't turn up, yet argued you had no right to keep "their" money...you'd need to have something in writing surely to protect yourself as a business. I'm not sure if it's worth doing if I'm going to have people bad mouthing my business and shouting online about how horrible I am etc, threatening legal action and all the associated "mob behaviour".

I'm just so disappointed that there are so many ignorant pigs in the world who have no manners and no care of the consequences to a business for them deciding they'd rather go for a coffee with a pal rather than keep an appointment that THEY asked for.

I have a dim enough view of human nature as it is.....which may be why I find it harder to shake these incidents off and get on with my day. I hate the attitude some people have. I just have to remind myself that these are the minority. Although unreasonable requests are becoming more frequent.

I had someone phone me on Sunday afternoon, when we were busy car hunting, needing a skirt made smaller for them by Monday morning.

Yeah, right.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 15:17:42 PM by Bloobell »

Samantha

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 17:03:51 PM »
Although I agree it's not ideal but you could take a deposit via paypal? Fairly straight forward to refund if they turn up. 

You could take a mobile number and text them a coupe of hours before saying 'don't forget your appointment if you can't make it please let me know'? 

I take it you don't have another space you can use for initial consultations so you don't have to pack up your work?

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 17:36:51 PM »
Most people / places now take a mobile number and text a couple of hours before the client is due.... just a thought :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

sewmuchmore

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 18:16:15 PM »
It is a difficult one this, and, like other professions that you have to book appointments with, we just have to accept that we are going to get no shows, no matter what you do. I have sent text messages, left voice messages and still they do not arrive. Ring to find out were they are "decided to go home for some tea first, i will come round in an hour". No you b***** well wont.
I did try offering home visits but that was fraught with problems as well. You turn up to collect a couple of pairs of trousers that want altering to find she has got every item of clothing out of the wardrobe for your opinion and 2 hours later she is still trying them on and you end up with a pile of alterations you could do without.
Worse for me is the customer who turns up unanounced, at all hours (even 9pm) and expect you to "just take my dress up an inch, I'll wait". No matter what i do or say it is water of a ducks back, she will always be the same.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewsuzie

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 23:48:45 PM »
Yep, got to agree, no shows are so frustrating! I used to be in the same situation of having to tidy up etc, before an appointment, but I've since moved my sewing room upstairs and see appointments downstairs in the living room, which doesn't get much other use. I have dressing screen in there too, for the more modest customers, and a full length mirror.
Just as annoying are the ones that turn up late, without thinking how it impacts on the rest of the day. They invariably do it on a busy day and coincide with the next appointment. Or, when you make an evening appointment and are waiting to have your meal afterwards and they either don't come or arrive late. Drives DH mad cos he does the cooking and never knows what time to aim for.
I find it's usually the ones that make an appointment via my Facebook page that don't show up, or arrive late, but luckily not many of them. The ones that actually phone usually turn up.
I do usually send a text or message asking if they've forgotten their appointment, if they don't show up, but there is always the odd one you're glad hasn't turned up. They don't get a message!
Texts and Facebook messages at all times of the day and night and weekends are also a bugbear, especially as I never remember to silence my phone. An early morning text is very annoying when you're asleep!
I keep home visits to an absolute minimum, as it takes too much valuable work time up. But I do have one exception, a lady I've visited for many years. She has problems parting with any clothes that aren't totally worn out, and further problems with not being able to resist a bargain. Hence, she always has stacks of skirts and dresses awaiting some attention (quite often letting out waistbands over the years). I usually end up spending about 3 hours with her while she tries them all on and I pin them. It takes so long because she likes to chat and can't seem to dress and talk at the same time. Luckily I've been blessed with a lot of patience and look on these afternoons with her more as a social call (don't get a cuppa though). Since her health and mobility have deteriorated I've even ended up putting her clothes away for her, in her wardrobes. Above and beyond the call of duty, but can't have her falling over trying to do it herself.
Hoping next week's visit to her isn't too time consuming.

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »
I wouldn't mind betting that you're a bright spot in her life, Suzie.   <3
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bloobell

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 10:39:14 AM »
Ah Suzie, I bet your time together is something she really treasures. I have a few clients I visit at their homes too, due to disabilities and/or age and not driving. I write off an entire afternoon when I'm booked to see them, as they tend to enjoy a wee chat. I don't mind, as I plan for it and have worked with them many times so am quite fond of them. I was absolutely devastated when one of my lovely "oldies" died a few years ago. She was really good fun.

Re using another room.....I wish. I really wish I had another spare room I could use just to see clients, but I don't, so access is limited to just my workroom. I do see one client in my living room, as she's disabled and can't manage the stairs. She wants to come out to see me as she loves her wee trip out, plus she lives an hour away, so she and her hubby make a day of it, and go for lunch somewhere. For me to go to her, it would be at least a three, if not four, hour round trip. It's not perfect but she's a lovely person and she's one of my regulars, so I make an exception for her. I've no intention of making a habit of it. It's my family living room after all. I'd have to spend just as long tidying that as I do my workroom lol!!!!

I think I'm just going to have to accept that some people have absolutely no manners, no consideration and no intention of changing. All I can do is update their name in my phone's contacts to the word "Timewaster!" so I know if they call again that they've got previous.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 15:15:19 PM »
Well, yesterday's trip to see my elderly (well she's a bit older than me  ;)) lady was a record breaker! Despite telling her I was pushed for time and hoped she didn't have a lot of work for me, she managed to spin it out to 3 1/2 hours! She had me dragging out and putting away dresses from years ago, to see if they either still fitted or could be made longer. So, I've come away with another stack to try and reincarnate!!
Next time I'll say I can stay as long as she likes, and maybe I'll get away quicker  0_0. Ended up working till 11.45pm to recover the lost afternoon.
Bless her!

Suzie   :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Sheilago

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 20:51:42 PM »
My daughter is a dog groomer and I am amazed by the number on ‘no shows’ she has every week. It is so easy to get in touch nowadays- txt, email etc, but they just don’t think. Obviously everyone can forget things, but she does do text reminders. Usually they phone up a couple of days later hoping for an appointment at short notice!

Lizzy777

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 00:17:51 AM »
Would it not be possible to take a consultation fee for a first visit? And if they go ahead with an order, then say you will deduct the fee from the total cost? That way if they don't turn up you will have this fee to pay for your time?

The consultation fee would have to be paid for at the time of making the appointment too, so you safely have the money before they visit? I wonder how many people would be filtered out at the making the appointment stage? And I bet they would be your time wasters too?

Would get rid of the problem with asking for deposits etc?

Just an idea.

Bloobell

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
I'm torn.

On the one hand, I genuinely think the fee idea is a great one.

On the other, I can see so many problems with it.

Can you imagine how much damage one or two cheesed off mouthy gits using social media could do to my business, if they "forgot" their appointment and I "refused to refund them"? Seriously? Look at the mob culture we're dealing with right now.

My friend, Susie, is a wedding photographer. She drives a car with her business name on it. She was approaching a junction, had right of way, but had to slam on her brakes to avoid a female driver who pulled out of the junction without warning. My friend, Susie, beeped her horn and probably shouted a few sweary words, but nothing out of the ordinary - basically just a normal response to someone trying to kill you. Later that day, her business facebook page was flooded, inundated, and absolutely bombarded by hideous reviews, horrible comments, insulting memes, offensive pictures...you name it, she received it. The other driver had written a post on Susie's page, using really offensive language and had then decided to get all her friends involved and almost successfully destroyed her entire business. Facebook got involved, and even the police ended up being involved.

It's an extreme example, I know, but do I really want to risk the mob descending on me and destroying 14 years of my hard work?

I love the idea of a fee, but honestly, I don't think I have the nerve to do it. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:06:40 PM by Bloobell »

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 15:43:15 PM »
Social media can certainly be vicious and I can't understand what makes people say the vilest things online to someone they have never met.  Some of these same people would probably have torched her shop as punishment for a non-existent harm.

Bloobell

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 16:54:50 PM »
Social media can certainly be vicious and I can't understand what makes people say the vilest things online to someone they have never met.  Some of these same people would probably have torched her shop as punishment for a non-existent harm.

They basically did. They torched her online presence. All because one of them was ticked off for driving like a lunatic.