The Sewing Place

It’s a wrap!

Mocarroll

It’s a wrap!
« on: February 23, 2018, 14:00:57 PM »
Finished my wrap dress that you so kindly gave me advice on. I’m pleased with the fit as I did my first FBA.  I did a tissue fit and found that the front wrap was way too long so I folded the excess out before cutting. By doing that and by stretching the band I have no gaposis as you can see when I bend forward. Glad I didn’t do my short waist adjustment as I usually do as the bodice was short.  After ready reviews on PR I also lengthened the ties and made them a bit narrower.
Just one thing, perhaps the eagle-eyed amongst you can spot the error in pattern layout....the left hand bodice piece is upside down.  I followed the layout recommended and looked twice to check that it was for fabrics with nap, and it was but I think it is an error on the pattern instructions, what do you think?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 16:44:49 PM by Iminei »

Ravingdoll

Re: It’s a wrap!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 14:22:27 PM »
It looks lovely - very Boden! And necklace is a great match too. What pattern did you use?

lakaribane

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 14:42:26 PM »
Looks great! I don't think the fabric pattern difference will be noticeable to the General Public, only to OCD seamstresses like me!  ;)

Taking note of the alterations you mentioned re:belt

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 15:17:23 PM »
Lovely - I really like the way the stripes go diagonally on the bodice.

Oh, and if I had noticed the fabric on one side being the other way up (which I would possibly have done if I was sitting opposite you for a long time without talking) I would have assumed it was deliberate!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 15:57:22 PM »
That fits you superbly, you certainly should be pleased with it.
I am another spotter of incorrect patterns but, like Acorn, it would have taken me some long, hard, staring to spot that.  Nobody will notice at all.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 16:31:33 PM »
I don't think anyone will notice either.  If they do, tell them it's a design feature. :)
Looks great and fits really well! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 16:39:39 PM »
@Mocarroll: the fabric is lovely and you have a good fit.  I had to go back and look at the upside down panel as I hadn't noticed and I call myself a seamstress. 0_0

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 16:46:58 PM »
Lovely ... I wish I could sew :( ...

I edited your pics to save TSPers necks ... hope you don't mind MC.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ravingdoll

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 17:01:48 PM »
Most of the photos that look sideways on in the thread, when I click on them are the right way around.  Weird! 

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 20:02:31 PM »
I think you have done a superb job of fitting this.  As for the pattern pore that is upside down I can't work out which piece you are referring  too.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 20:32:36 PM »
Nicely done.  When you pointed out there was an error it took quite a bit of looking for me to figure out what it was.  The design is such the average person will not even notice.

Mocarroll

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 20:44:08 PM »
If you look at the layout for pieces 1 and 2 which are the right and left bodice. The shoulder of one points to the right and the other to the left. The result is that my horizontal pattern had one side “ upside down”. To turn piece 1 180degrees wouldn’t have needed more fabric yet would have made both sides the right way up!

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
I had to look quite hard to see what you mean - and yes an error in the instructions, but the boldnes and variation in the pattern you chose disguised it very well - and TBH I think that is better than it would have been if you'd rotated one of the front bodice pieces but then not got the pattern matching spot on.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.