The Sewing Place

This has been asked before but I can't find it

justpottering

This has been asked before but I can't find it
« on: February 24, 2018, 20:37:47 PM »
Or...........I might be thinking of the old sewing forum, because I am sure it was a sticky and about sewing professionally, if anyone knows where I might find it please point me at it

Recently I have been thinking of advertising locally for dressmaking, alterations and repair customers, I have some already, who return time and time again, which has been all I needed, but last year I 'retired' from my professional life, mostly to free up some time to look after my dad, but I now find myself wanting to expand this into more of a business and tout for customers - I have lots of ideas where I might do this but my questions are......

The dreaded insurance question, not about needing it but where is the best place to get from? Up to now I have been covered by insurance for the market if I put it through their invoicing system, but this also means they take 8% for that, not that I mind that whilst doing so little, but wondering if I now need to put in place something for myself

The next question, which I have seen before, is about charges. I am aware  that there are lots of influencing factors so this is my bit of research it's not that I will charge the same (especially in these parts) but I need a starting point from which to work it out.

I already have cover for people coming into my home/property for business purposes because I used to see clients here in my other life.

I am not expecting folk who do this to tell the world what they charge/earn necessarily, but a ball park figure would do, if you wanted to help me out by being more specific, you could pm me if you wanted to.

All my machines and other sewing bits and bobs are insured although for personal use not business so I am guessing I have to look at that as well

Any advice/information would be gratefully received as part of my research and planning
JP
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Greybird

Re: This has been asked before but I can't find it
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 23:11:09 PM »
I can't answer your question about charges JP, but as far as insurance is concerned, although you already have Liability cover for people coming to your home, you should advise your household insurers of the change in the reason they are visiting and at the same time tell them about the change of use for your machines. There is a possibility they may add Liability cover for the garments left with you to the policy. Failing that, if you have a good local insurance broker they should be able to help.  I believe Direct Line are also doing commercial insurance now and it might be a good idea to give them a call. 

Good luck!

Bloobell

Re: This has been asked before but I can't find it
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 13:03:56 PM »
Take a look at Tradesman Saver for insurance.