The Sewing Place

Best type of Pegboard

annieeg

Best type of Pegboard
« on: February 12, 2019, 15:31:22 PM »
Does anyone know of a supplier of peg boards (other than Amazon)?

Manuela

Re: Best type of Pegboard
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
You should be able to get it in hardware stores as well (not in Hong Kong though, as there is no DIY culture here...).
The problem with the IKEA pegboad is that only IKEA accessories can be used (I have the additional problem that I really dislike the company).

Farrener

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
I have also been looking at pegboards, and think this company looks OK.

I haven't ordered anything myself, just been looking.

(Link removed)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:39:55 AM by Manuela »

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 22:58:43 PM »
Traditional pegboard has been around all my life and longer (60+ years) so there's a huge range of hooks and accessories that have been designed for it. We bought the plastic Ikea version for my daughter because she liked it but if it were for me I'd go for the traditional system for that very reason. Even Hobbycraft sell a box of different pegboard accessories.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:44 AM »
The house in which I grew up had a narrow walk-in pantry featuring traditional pegboard along one wall. My mother hung some of her cookware on it. The remained was stacked on shelves. I also remember her keeping a stash of magazines from decades past lining the floor under the shelves, just in case there was an interesting recipe featured in one of them.

I love the look of the large craft pegboard. You could create your own work of art. I’d worry about my thread and stuff getting dusty though.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 16:04:33 PM »
I don't use pegboard because I'm using multi-purpose areas of the house.

If I were lucky enough to have a sewing room I'd probably have some but only for items unaffected by dust or light. My threads are in clear boxes but in dark storage.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 21:09:30 PM »
I should stay off the web today. My first thought to the title was..."the kind with holes".  0_0

I've always used traditional Masonite pegboard. It spray paints nicely. My Mom was an antiques dealer, mostly small goods and had two sets of 2' x 4' pegboards, framed out and hinged which she could set up on tables to increase her space. They were sprayed a sort of flat royal blue. Quite nice. What I do use of hers is an old 3 panel wooden screen that had originally  been set with fabric panels. She ripped off the fabric and stapled poultry screening in its place. Hang stuff on it with little s hooks. Sort of fun.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.