The Sewing Place

My new sewing nook in Thailand

Manuela

My new sewing nook in Thailand
« on: February 26, 2018, 03:59:43 AM »
It's finished and I'm over the moon. I had to work around the built in furniture (desk without cable holes, a 25cm deep shelf and an ugly wall unit), as ripping it out would mean a major renovation.

View from the living area, the door on the right is the second bathroom, the door ahead leads to the second bedroom (Mr Manuela's future office)

I covered the ugly wall unit with blackboard foil and found some wooden containers with blackboard at the front as storage on the shelf, still need to cover the drawers of the unit under the table. Mr Manuela drilled two cable openings into the desk, so all the cables are neatly hidden

Love me some pegboard  <3 it keeps everything handy to be reached easily and provides oodles of storage. The baskets are for fabric storage

Proximity to the living area...

It's small, but all mine  :D

Bella has been here for a while ...

With the door open

The dining/working table (still with my course books, worked on an assignment for most of last week)

The view   :loveit:

mudcat

Re: My new sewing nook in Thailand
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 04:44:36 AM »
Nice sewing nook Manuela.  You've done a fantastic job in making the small space work for you.  I like the blackboard.  I imagine you are looking forward to the conclusion of your studies so you can get back to regular sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:12:41 AM »
Oh my gosh! Is that a pink 222 Featherweight.?  :vintage:

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »
Yes, I was just falling in love with the little pink machine.
I'd never heard of blackboard foil, how useful.  It looks great Manuela and excellent use of a small space.
Life's too short for ironing.

fajita

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »
Like a little sewists palace.
Bella is beautiful.

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »
Oh my gosh! Is that a pink 222 Featherweight.?  :vintage:

Yes indeed it is. Bella's original paint started to bubble up due to aluminium rot. Hence, I decided to get her painted.... pink is my favourite colour, so pink it was  :)

@Ploshkin me neither, then I started researching how to change the surface of the cabinets without creating damage or a royal mess. The foil is brilliant, once one gets the hang of it, application is easy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 14:49:07 PM by Manuela »

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »
What a lovely little sewing nook.  Love the pretty sewing machine and the patchwork chair.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Wouldn’t say I’m envious but............ <3

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 14:25:55 PM »
Wow, that looks amazing!  Love the little pink sewing machine and the gorgeous view!  Enjoy your new sewing space  <3

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 15:02:46 PM »
Obviously I love the pink machine but the thing that has really taken my fancy is the thread reel holder sitting on the worktop.  Is that a one-off or where can I get one?

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 15:15:31 PM »
Is it one like this?

Lovely space - and beautiful chair!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 15:16:06 PM »
I like the pegboard.
You would have to be very organised to work in a space like that.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 15:29:39 PM »
Is it one like this?

Lovely space - and beautiful chair!
Yep, that's the one. I initially wanted to put it on the pegboard, but decided to use it to hide extension sockets and cables instead.

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 17:14:18 PM »
Love your sewing space Manuela, given me a few ideas for my 'box' room that I currently use!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 17:39:02 PM »
but the thing that has really taken my fancy is the thread reel holder sitting on the worktop.  Is that a one-off or where can I get one?

Oh ... Im feeling sooo smug here as Mr Im made me one of those one Christmas.
It was when you couldn't get them from anywhere but America and a complete surprise ... Wonderful!!!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 17:40:49 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again