The Sewing Place

My new sewing nook in Thailand

Sewingsue

Re: My new sewing nook in Thailand
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 17:51:45 PM »
Just remembered that I read somewhere that having reels of thread out in the light wasn't a good idea

Of course with the amount of sewing you all do the thread wouldn't be around for long
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Roger

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 20:03:36 PM »
Thats very nice Imi, and it looks like he generously left enough spike to put the bobbin on the top too
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 22:14:49 PM »
If Mr P made me one of those I'd probably need a crane to lift it into place.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 19:47:41 PM »
You can keep everything, I'll just have the Siamese. <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 04:04:23 AM »
A little update, I put up the final touches.
One issue that caused me a bit of a headache was where to store the ironing board. Having it in the bedroom was not ideal, I didn’t fancy dragging it through the flat each time I needed to use it.

Up on the door it is, together with the iron and the sleeveboard. Added benefit is an empty cupboard  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I also got another pegboard up, giving me space for buttonholers and attachments, as well as a charging station and adapter storage in the top basket. Again, more space in the cupboards.

Trixie (the black Featherweight) came with me during this trip, it does make sense to have them both and all their accessories here. My aim is to have at some point all my vintage machines on display on top of the cupboard when they’re not in use.
I found little wooden units I reporposed as mini drawers under the shelves. They are attached with mounting tape and hold anything from presser feet, tailor’s chalk to sewing machine manuals.

I think I have now used up every square inch of space available  :devil:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:17:39 AM by Manuela »

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »
That's a brilliant ironing board solution - is the thing it hangs on actually made for an ironing board?  I really like the baskets on the pegboard too, in fact you whole space is just perfect.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 15:27:35 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 15:04:45 PM »
@Ploshkin it’s an over the door ironing board holder I found on Amazon. An absolutely brilliant space saver.

Sizun

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
How nice a sewing corner ! And great inspiration too...  :flower:

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
That really looks super efficiently used space @Manuela , but just where is all the fabric stashed?

Probably the less space we have the more we are able to work tidily.  I would be really proud if we had visitors and they saw how that was arranged.  Which is why mine is upstairs behind a closed door.  It's not very wide at 9ft but over 17ft long and it still looks like a glory hole even when tidy. 

I can remember a time when I worked on a  small desk with two drawers and one sewing machine.  Then I joined a sewing forum and from no enablers I was sinking in them.  But, it's a great hobby and it keeps me off street  corners (not that I'd earn much).
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Manuela

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 13:41:52 PM »
@Gernella, I don’t really have a stash......   :ninja:
Third picture, bottom right, the two wicker baskets - this is where the fabric goes. The two cupboards are currently empty, I intend to store patterns in one of them.
The pegboard releases a huge amount of storage, and the work surface too small for clutter.

Gernella

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 16:23:26 PM »
No, I never had a stash in 2008, one piece of fabric, one zip and thread.  Now, I've actually hit 40 meters, that I know of.  Perhaps I need rehab.

Lyn-J

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 17:20:12 PM »
What a lovely organized setup - but there's a problem, with a view like that how are you ever going to get any sewing done?

Manuela

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 23:33:57 PM »
What a lovely organized setup - but there's a problem, with a view like that how are you ever going to get any sewing done?

When we’re in Thailand, I stop sewing at 5:30pm for a gin & tonic watching the sunset  ;)

BrendaP

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 23:55:43 PM »
It's great use of a small space; I don't think I could ever be that tidy!  But where do you do your cutting out?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 03:15:10 AM »
In the first post there's a pic of a rather large looking dining table. Then again, Manuela is probably still limber enough to do it on the floor, unlike us well aged specimens.  ;)
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.