The Sewing Place

Jacket

Sewingsue

Jacket
« on: March 13, 2017, 13:11:29 PM »
Hauled out patterns (which have been 'maturing' for (well, let's not bother about time), dither, pick what looks like a straightforward one https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/9839

I'm also working through the Craftsy class on Solo Fitting.

So, compared my measurements and pattern sizes. Oh, good, allowing for semi-fitted ease I can go for 14. Er, there are two front pieces as well as the back - marking seam allowance then measuring across pattern pieces to check the waist which I am sure is going to be smaller isn't as easy as she made it look.

Oh, and the waist is an inch lower than mine and there are two points above the waist to lengthen/shorten the pattern plus a waist dart that is just a jumble of lines.

Panic setting in.
Where is the bin?

Deep breath - Go for fabric toile or trace pattern on to that Swedish tracing paper I got and use it?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

dolcevita

Re: Jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 14:31:22 PM »
Each to their own, but I always prefer a fabric toile as I could never get on with tissue fitting.  Plus, there's something very liberating about scribbling on fabric with a big marker pen.

Nice pattern - what fabric to you plan to use?

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 14:39:43 PM »
I have some rather good fine wool fabric (Liberty I think) which I bought some time ago in a stash dispersal.

I think I have some check cotton which I got to make toiles - must see if I can find it - or see what my calico stash is like.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 19:28:00 PM »
Take a breath make a toile, you'll be fine. Have  :toast:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 19:47:21 PM »
Calico found, main pieces pinned and cut out. Back will now be rested  - the dining table is big enough for laying stuff out, but, as we all know, not the right height for cutting.

While hunting through various drawers I found a post I printed out from TSF ages ago about learning to fit (original post written by Morgan).

"For now, choose just one, methodical fitting and pattern adjustment scheme that you can use to fit yourself, focus and stick with it."

At least I have recovered from the tizz I got myself into earlier.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:57:08 PM by Sewingsue »

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
OK, changed my mind again and now going with paper toile - partly because I bought Swedish Tracing Paper some time back and partly because I have the Palmer/Pletsch jackets book.

Dolcevita, you asked about the fabric
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 13:49:41 PM by Sewingsue »