The Sewing Place

Some you win, some you lose

Didi

Some you win, some you lose
« on: March 12, 2017, 15:17:59 PM »
And today's was a definite lose  -<
I have the merchant and mills top 64 pattern which I have made a couple of times in linen and it's a very comfortable top.
I wondered wether it would work in a knit so cue a piece of grey jersey in my stash I had no idea what to do with. Well it's wearable but only if your not going out !!
The neck is far to wide and despite taking a couple of tucks to narrow it it's still too wide. I suppose apart from that it's actually not to bad it drapes nicely but the neck is just a mess
Not sure what to do wether to undo the shoulders and take a wider seam to pull it up or wether to just chalk it up to experience. It will be fine for around the house

dolcevita

Re: Some you win, some you lose
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 16:19:41 PM »
Have you got enough fabric left to make a band to go around the neck edge and bring it in that way?  Interfacing it would stabilise the neckline, too.  You could always use a contrast if you don't have enough.

Snippet

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:31:46 AM »
I feel your pain!

I've abandoned TWO projects this week that have been hanging around since before Christmas.

One was a lovely dress pattern with equally lovely fabric - but a stupid idea on my part that they suited each other. Tweaked this, that and the other but admitted to myself last night that I'd never wear it....so it went in the bin. :(

Along with a jacket - same issue, nice pattern, nice fabric etc etc  :( :(

Lesson to be learned I think - stop buying random patterns and fabric!!!!

(Like that's ever going to happen  ;))

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 13:33:48 PM »
Stop buying random patterns and fabric???? Nooooo. That's my hobby. 0_0
Very annoying when this happens. Hope all these projects can be rescued. I usually think that if something I have made is big enough I can rescue it. It's when I have made it too smal thatl I get stuck (I know, I know... make a toile..)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 13:41:32 PM »
@Snippet: I also have a dress that is nearly finished (just buttonholes and buttons to do), but I fell out of love with it during the making and was never going to wear it anyway.  However, at some stage I will complete the dress and donate.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 13:49:25 PM »

One was a lovely dress pattern with equally lovely fabric - but a stupid idea on my part that they suited each other.

Oh dear.  Is the fabric the wrong one for the pattern?  Or do you just not like it?

Snippet

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 21:19:37 PM »
Oh dear.  Is the fabric the wrong one for the pattern?  Or do you just not like it?

It should've been a stretchy fabric but there was no stretch at all in the stash buster I used! Couldn't get it over my shoulders so I put a zip in the side......which solved that problem.

Until the next problem....the pattern has lots of gathers at the front which would look great in something stretchy and slinky but my stash buster was more like, all I can think of is Crimplene  :D so it was sticking out in front like a great big maternity dress. I took some gathers out...still not right....cut a chunk out and put a seam down the front! Still not right.

Then I just decided that life was too short to spend any more time on it - I'd hacked it about so much that it wasn't even worth finishing it for the charity bag!  :'( I did recycle the zip though  ;)

Lesson learned (maybe....)  8)

crooknees

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 18:32:41 PM »
Oh dear! I can imagine the cloud of depression descending, as you battled to save the project. You did your best. It is just the sort of thing that happens to me. I just have to experiment and inevitably it ends in disaster.