The Sewing Place

Swimsuit cups

justpottering

Swimsuit cups
« on: March 20, 2018, 15:57:33 PM »
I am soon going to make a swimsuit for myself, well more of a top and skirted bottoms, the pattern says I need cups - fair enough I do like a bit of support - but what sort of cups? it doesn't specify, and would they just simply be my bra cup size?

Thanks in advance
I am making view B of Butterick 5795

Oh and if there is any advice on making a swimsuit I am happy to recieve it, after all I can't really make a toile with the same fabric, so not sure about sizing, for example swimsuits are usually snug, can I assume that if I chose a size from the back of the envelope that it will be right?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 16:00:21 PM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Seapebbles

Re: Swimsuit cups
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 16:50:36 PM »
Ive never made a swimsuit, but I do know preformed swim and bra cups are sold in our local fabric chain.  You’ll require something chlorine resistant if swimming in a pool and not so thick to avoid them turning into heavy sponges.
I have all of Beverly Johnson’s bra and panty making classes on Craftsy, but do not own her swimwear class.  I know she shows how to install swimwear cups, and most likely the best type to use.  I ‘think’ she also shows those who have fitted cut and sew foam cups in her bra making classes how to install them for a custom fit as well.
I wouldn’t pay full price for these classes, I have purchased most at deep discounts.  You might ask about the free introductory streaming promotion, where you could watch the entire classs (and any others) and then cancel before the trial was over so as to avoid a fee on your credit card.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 16:52:59 PM »
My only advice is DONT BUY PRYM CUPS.

I did when I was in a rush, they are hard and scratchy and I had to cut them out, luckily we were miles from nowhere so I didn't offend anybody.

If you havent got your fabric yet try https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/felixdanceleisurewear16/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I got two lots of swimwear fabric from them for a few pounds, really good quality.  I intended it for a toile but actually made two swimsuits that I used.

If you do Craftsy, Beverley Johnson's Supportive Swimwear class is excellent

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 17:04:51 PM »
My only advice is DONT BUY PRYM CUPS.

You need them to fit and Prymm sell A cup, B cup, C cup and D cup without any reference to the band size!  Tha fact that a 40A cup is actually smaller than a 32E cup tells you what a lot aof rubbish they are going to be.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

washi

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 19:29:54 PM »
If you have an old bra with foam cups you can cannibalize, feel free to use that. I find that my best support comes from wearing a swim bra under a suit without cups, like this one from Elomi swim bra. My girls are 38GG, though, so YMMV.