The Sewing Place

Just how many...

Efemera

Just how many...
« on: February 26, 2018, 13:13:54 PM »
Times do you try something on when making it?...I’m sick of taking my clothes off. I must have tried this dress on at least 8 times..I’ve tried other stuff even more, think I’ll sew in my dressing gown!

Francesca

Re: Just how many...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 13:18:32 PM »
An awful lot. I also wear slippers round the house, but can't operate a foot pedal with them on. So I'm often found in my skirt, bra, and one slipper pottering around the dining room.

lakaribane

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 13:27:57 PM »
So much that I don't like it when people "drop by" bc I am scrambling to get back into my clothes to answer the door.

I also tend not to comb my hair so the full effect is rather impressive! :P

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 13:43:07 PM »
I try on a fair bit - the main try on is when the body of the item is made and I'm checking the fit. If it is a TNT pattern I might not try it on at all while it's being made.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 13:58:34 PM »
I try on a lot too.  If it is a new pattern the first thing I do is pin together the main pieces and try it on like that (ouch! ouch! ouch!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 14:04:44 PM »
Yep! The Mrs gets niffed off with me asking her to try stuff on too...

But then I probably look a bit funny from sewing too... I usually have a few pins through my clothes one shoe/sock on and the other off.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 14:57:35 PM »
I don't like it when people "drop by" bc I am scrambling to get back into my clothes to answer the door.
That happened to me 3 times in succession a few weeks back, I was in and out of the thing like a yo yo and must have gone to the door more dishevelled each time.  I did finally manage to get 5 minutes without an interruption.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 15:41:48 PM »
One of the Palmer Pletch books for Real People (Fit or Pants, can't remember which) recommends sewing in your underwear so that it's easier to keep trying on.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 17:42:12 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 17:27:08 PM »
One of the Palmer Pletch books for Real People (Fit or Pants, can't remember which) recommends seing in your underwear so that it's easier to keep trying on.

It's an official sensible idea then and I am not bonkers.

Although it should probably be done wearing the actual underwear that will be worn with the outfit.  Probably best too that the underwear be clean.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 17:34:26 PM »
Never.  It gets tried when done, which is why a lot of the stuff I made is unsatisfactory. Don't have anyone to help with adjustments anyway.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 18:26:28 PM »
Glad I am not alone UttaRerch, I only ever try on when it's just about finished, although most things I have made fit ok its just that I look a b***** in some so they never see the light of day. (really must stop buying Marcy Tilton patterns they do nothing for me).
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 18:36:12 PM »
That really surprises me... I would never make anything without trying lots of times. If it’s a top I pin without sleeves to see if the bust and shoulders fit, then baste and try again..  then sew. Baste the sleeves and try them, then baste in the sleeves and try agin... usually have to narrow the shoulder... sew and try on again to get the length right...it’s a lots of basting  and trying but I’ve learned over the years it’s better that having stuff go in the bin.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 19:01:11 PM »
Never.  It gets tried when done, which is why a lot of the stuff I made is unsatisfactory. Don't have anyone to help with adjustments anyway.

Neither do I, but lots of pulling and pinching in the mirror helps with the fit!

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 19:12:27 PM »
How do you deal with the back?  I would need to distribute the adjustments between all the seams - narrow ribcage and small, high waist.  I should really pick the high bust measurement and do a full bust adjustment.

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 19:25:37 PM »
If you pinch, say, an inch out just on each side seam than you can take the thing off and redistribute those two inches all around, then put it back on again. Lots of pinning and then shuffling back into it. For dress bodices I can pin up the back and just about manage to shimmy back into it if I suck everything in!