The Sewing Place

Just how many...

Goth Gardiner

Re: Just how many...
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 19:28:37 PM »
How do you deal with the back?  I would need to distribute the adjustments between all the seams - narrow ribcage and small, high waist.  I should really pick the high bust measurement and do a full bust adjustment.

By looking at when you are wearing it, taking it off, making adjustments, carefully putting it back on...  how else? I thought this was how most people did it.

Once you have got something that fits you can use that pattern as the basis for the next outfit. Or do a drafting còurse and create your own blocks.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 19:34:38 PM »
 0_0  0_0 I am not competent enough and this is why I have pretty much stopped sewing.  I'm now only hear for the chat.

Francesca

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 21:43:11 PM »
But you get more competent by trying and learning. And you obviously are competent. That coat, that dress...

Clareew

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 13:43:30 PM »
Bags are great when you are fed up with trying to fit things to and awkward body.  No fitting involved - although I did make one which had a circle to thread your arm through - I could only use it when wearing a tshirt, other clothes made my arm too fat. 0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 17:31:46 PM »
Muggle clothes-not very much
Steampunk/historical- approximately every thirty seconds...sewing in a corset and drawers is very comfy, you can't slump!
C'est moi!

Lachica

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 18:05:23 PM »
Sewing in underwear ...brrr, chilly! And it would frighten the postman. I try on very frequently, unless it's a TNT pattern that I know will fit. I also have Dolly, who has had her tummy padded out to match mine, but she's armless.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 18:40:06 PM »
Yes I have Bertha who is adjustable.....  but unfortunately not quite adjustable enough in the waist area  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 22:49:31 PM »
A full length mirror and hand held knew is useful for the back.   Photos are good if take in a phone or tablet.  Then blow them land study where the problem is.  One adjustment at a time to see what happens.  I don't think it's really possible to make clothes without trying them on as you're making them.  Each garment is different even if it's the same pattern.  The fabric has a big part to play in how something works out.  What works in one fabric will often have to be adjusted for another one. 

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 18:44:24 PM »
Must be why I don't like making dresses. My skirt is usually on and off like a whores drawers though.   Fortunately I only have three adjustments, short arms, narrow shoulders and short height. 

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included