The Sewing Place

Flamingoes

sewingj

Flamingoes
« on: February 27, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
Following encouragement from quite a few of you I bought the flamingo fabric and it is now made into a top.  It is 95% cotton so should be good for the Summer
I like this pattern as it is flattering to my shape but I readily admit that it was not ideal for the fabric as it has a seam along the top of the bust which resulted in me having very conspicuous chopped up flamingoes (I didn`t have enough fabric to try to match it).  I ended up putting some ribbon along the seamline which hopefully distracts from this a bit
I`m going to attempt to attach a photo - I`ve just read the tutorial about re-sizing photos but my laptop doesn`t want to download the software so I hope it will be ok

(I agree that it looks rather like a Hawaiian shirt in the photo but if we ever get some sunshine I think it will be ok)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:41:25 AM by sewingj »

maliw

Re: Flamingoes
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:49:12 AM »
That's great, job well done. We've had plenty of sunshine during the last few days - it just wasn't very warm!!! It will be a lovely top for the summer.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:52:25 AM »
That's really lovely.  I don't think the seam is a problem - it's not as though there'a a row of them all missing their heads!

What's the pattern?  It's just my style!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
Love the fabric, and the ribbon trim is a lovely idea. It gives a great finishing touch.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:48 AM »
That's lovely SJ! Which pattern did you use?

Looking outside, summer seems a long way off though ....:(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:55:18 AM »
I think trying to match that pattern on a curved seam could have ended up with some mutant flamingoes. The ribbon was a much better idea and makes a feature of the seam line.

sewingj

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
Thank you for all of your very kind comments - I feel much encouraged

The pattern is NewLook 6527. (But with a straight hemline) When I bought it I didn`t realise that it is meant for woven fabrics but I didn`t have many problems with it - the neck facing was a bit fiddly - if I make it again I think I will try to do an ordinary "v" neck

http://www.simplicity.com/new-look-pattern-6527-misses-tunic-in-two-lengths/N6527.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 09:13:18 AM by sewingj »

Samantha

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 13:43:33 PM »
I LOVE  :loveit: it!