The Sewing Place

Bootstrap/Lekala pattern question

Acorn

Bootstrap/Lekala pattern question
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:57:51 AM »
I am using Bootstrap 45179 for the One Pattern Three Ways sewalong.

Having had to make the shoulders narrower - not something I've ever had to do before - I decided that I would order the pattern again with a narrow shoulder adjustment.  As I couldn't get on to the Bootstrap site (a problem I frequently have) I ordered the new one from Lekala - the identical pattern (4517) with identical measurements plus the narrow shoulders adjustment.

I have just printed off the sleeve, neck and top of the main pieces to compare them to my previous pattern (hoping that I wouldn't need to redo the whole pattern).

The edge of the shoulders is only quarter of an closer to the centre.  The arm part of the sleeve, however, is an inch and a half wider and an inch and a half longer.  The top of the sleeve is also about an inch and a half longer.  The armscye is higher.

The bust dart is also about 3/4 inch higher - and it was already on the high side on the first pattern.

Put simply, are these differences that you would expect to accompany a narrow shoulder adjustment?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:00:45 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

Re: Bootstrap/Lekala pattern question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
Hmm, it's a little but possibly not enough. It doesn't sound bad, because the shoulders are quite a small "area" and therefore 1/4" can make a significant difference.

If you want to make it smaller, narrow shoulder adjustments are easy. Cut the whole armscye section off in a square and shift it your desired amount to the side then smooth out the shoulder seam. Easy peasy. I do it all the time.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
Sounds a lot easier than ending up altering all the other things back to where they were!

Do you then add whatever extra you've added to the bottom of the armscye to the bottom of the armhole on the sleeve?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »
Yeah. If I shift over the whole armscye an inch, then I would draw an inch onto the armscye base to take it back to its original side seam position. It makes for a slightly more scooped out sleeve but it does the job for me.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
I just lop it off the armscye.. usually tapering from front notch to back notches, taking around 2cm from the shoulder seam