The Sewing Place

Waistcoat from left over tweed

Silver Rose

Waistcoat from left over tweed
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
Last week I finished an eight panelled mid-calf skirt in black and white small dogtooth tweed and have managed to squeeze a waistcoat out of the remaining fabric. I cut it out yesterday and had enough tweed for the 4 front pieces and the 2 side back pieces, the centreback panel I cut from some leftover charcoal grey lightweight twill. I've got enough pink lining polyester but not quite enough tweed to cut the 2 front facings so I'm going to try to construct these with what tweed I've got and the lining fabric so I'll copy the front/facing pattern pieces onto tracing paper and cut them in two - not fogetting to add the seam allowances before I place on the fabric, it all sounds complicated written down :S It's all in my head, it will work. I'll report back later.
Still learning

Acorn

Re: Waistcoat from left over tweed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
Sounds lovely.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:39:52 AM »
Thanks Acorn, I like making waistcoats and like being able to use up leftovers. I particularly remember that turning a waistcoat was my first ever post to TSF way back when!
 I was getting in a hell of a muddle with it and loads of lovely TSFers gave me advice and suggested YouTube videos and other useful websites. I've still got the printed instructions from one website in my sewing box. Since then I've made lined Chanel style jackets and a summer blazer.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
Waistcoat almost finished just the turning process to do then sew up the side seams and give it a good press, I am pleased with it and it has kept me busy in this awful weather as I  haven't been able to go far. I really must subscribe so I can post pics.
Still learning

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:58:11 AM »
Sounds lovely.  I understood precisely what you meant about putting the facing together.

One of the next competitions I think is to be about using up scraps. I wonder if this would have counted.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
Waistcoat finished and I am wearing it now with matching skirt, off to town later to get more library books and have coffee and read the papers in the Ipswich Institute. Pics to follow.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »
Pleased with how the waistcoat and skirt looked yesterday and had some nice comments from Institute members in the Library. Have posted pics - the front view is a bit wonky on the hanger though. What to make next? The Lisette coat keeps coming to mind.
Still learning

DementedFairy

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
posted pics where?
C'est moi!

SkoutSews

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 13:08:29 PM »
Very nice!  I like the pink lining and the black back section.  To my eye it looks better then having the back in the dogtooth, gives a bit of contrast and definition.

DF, they're in the gallery.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 14:27:09 PM »
WHERE ARE OUR PICS ????

WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS!!!!

Err ... Silver Rose would you mind very awfully posting pics in thread please???

Thank you very much, very much appreciated
(said ala John Le Mesurier)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

mudcat

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:38:11 AM »
Yes a picture would be great.  Silly American here but can you confirm that a waistcoat is a vest?

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »
Yes, mud at.  It's a vest.  You can see SR's waistcoat in the gallery.

mudcat

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:16:36 AM »
Thanks Pearl  :meow:

I like your waist coat Silver Rose. A great separate to dress up or down.