The Sewing Place

Invisible zipper installed without using an invisible zipper foot

Manuela

This is very similar to the way I put zippers in, I omit the basting stage though (I do that by machine, using a long stitch).

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2017/11/14/smart-technique-imperceptible-zipper?utm_ca
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 13:57:43 PM by Manuela »

BrendaP

Re: Invisible zipper installed without using an invisible zipper foot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »
Thank you for that link.

I have found that the traditional zipper foot for a vintage straight stitcher allows stitching just as close to the coils as my purpose made invisible zip foot.  That was a nifty trick for getting the slider down out of the way.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »
I like that technique! It gives a really professional finish. I must try it.

Stitches

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 13:20:19 PM »
Love that I must try it.

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 13:31:03 PM »
My students recorded the demonstration I did installing invisible zippers that way (basting done by machine) and with detailed explanations and working very slowly, it took 7 minutes.
Using an invisible zip foot is completely alien to me, as closing the eam after installing the zipper is counter productive to my logic.
@BrendaP, I agree, a zip or cording foot for a vintage straight stitcher gives excellent results.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 13:58:31 PM by Manuela »

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 13:33:17 PM »
I shall try it too. I have just done one following several You Tube demonstrations and have ended up with just such a nasty little kink in the seam below the zip - so much for their airy assurances that it wouldn't show!
I don't hate my invisible zip foot though, so will probably still use it, but what is a hemostat? Not sure if that's how it's spelled - does it do anything other than grab zip pulls?

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 13:41:37 PM »
Have just found a hemostat and ordered it. How on earth did anyone make the jump between it's intended use and inserting zips though?

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 13:45:43 PM »
Stitchalot very kindly put me on to this technique.  I haven`t had chance to use it yet but it looks so good I can`t understand why it isn`t better known.

(Ebay will be wondering why there is a sudden run on hemostats!)

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 14:07:15 PM »
On my Pfaff I can move the needle position by tiny increments (0.25mm) which is useful for stitching close to zip teeth using the standard zip foot.
Life's too short for ironing.

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 14:20:22 PM »
Thanks for the link Manuela. I have the same foot as Kenneth D King uses, think it came with my first Janome (New Home in those days) machine and I guard it with my life! Have used it for a load of other things as well.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 19:10:00 PM »
@Greybird a hemostat is actually a piece of medical equipment.  But I have 3 of them in different sizes.  They are wonderful for turning collars, pockets etc. because they clamp together at the ends till you release them.  No point turner needed to 'poke out the corner' which can make ruin it.

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 22:29:20 PM »
Thank you Ohsewsimple. This morning I had never even heard of it, but now I am looking forward to it being delivered!

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 16:46:07 PM »
How simple is that? Must try it next zipper. Thanks Manuela :D
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 17:20:01 PM »
That was how I was taught (by the destructions) to insert a zip into the ill fated capri pants ... with the notable exception of the gizmo for running the slidey thing far past the ending of the zip. I also had a to size zip.... but I was very pleased with it nontheless ....

I also put the zip with the ridged bit facing out of the trousers which I think he did the other way around ????? but I could be wrong about that  :\

Thanks for the tut I might just try it as an exersize.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

WendyW

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 18:43:40 PM »
I just tried this last night on a dress for my granddaughter. It's more steps than the "correct" way with the special foot, but I like it better.