The Sewing Place

I've been playing ....

Kad

I've been playing ....
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
I don't know why, as there's a quilt under planning/construction and various items of clothing just needing a final tweek to be finished, but I needed to play and this is the result:

They both started off with painted/sprayed Bondaweb which was then foiled and then shapes cut from organza with a soldering iron appliqued on.

Considering that they were both produced at the same time - does this indicate both sides of my personality??  :D 
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

Re: I've been playing ....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
They are great 0_0

Did you free-motion the applique?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:35:27 AM »
Yes, I put a piece of 'warm and White' wadding behind and then a piece of muslin to give them a bit of 'body' and used rayon embroidery threads for the actual stitching. To be honest, I really had no plan as to how things were likely to turn out, so was quite pleased with the results but have no idea what I'm going to do with them now I've produced them! 0_0

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
They're beautiful.   0_0

I've done something similar in the past by appliqueing with cotton and then covering the whole thing with organza before quilting.  The result isn't as beautifully detailed as yours, but as I was making cot quilts it was a good way of making a baby quilt without the danger of any threads or small pieces coming adrift.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 14:31:22 PM »
They both started off with painted/sprayed Bondaweb which was then foiled and then shapes cut from organza with a soldering iron appliqued on.

Can we have that again in English? 
They're beautiful especially the tree but I can't get my head round how you actually did them (I'm a picture thinker)
Life's too short for ironing.

Kad

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 14:40:14 PM »
It's been suggested, by Iminei, that I should do a tutorial on this so I've agreed to have a go at remembering exactly what I did and produce photos and words to illustrate my processes. I'm going to use Iminei as the guinea pig and if she can understand it all it'll appear as a tutorial - think that is fair as she's the one who 'encouraged' me.  :devil:

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 16:52:20 PM »
Can we have that again in English? 
They're beautiful especially the tree but I can't get my head round how you actually did them (I'm a picture thinker)
Shows how many different skills we have in here.
I understood every word (couldn't do it, but I understood it).

Now some pattern alteration descriptions  :S
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 17:14:57 PM »
 they're both lovely. Quite different. How do you spray Bondaweb on? I thought it came in strips? And what is foiling? Looking forward to the tutorial as I'd like to have a go.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Kad

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 18:38:51 PM »
I sploshed/sprayed/ dribbled colour onto the Bondaweb - it's a very random/messy sort of process and great fun.   :D

Have started taking photos and making notes to test on Iminei.  :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 19:31:52 PM »
Fabulous

rowe1311

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 19:50:48 PM »
This is lovely, and look forward to the tutorial.  This is what I hope to do more with as I do love FME.  I also have no idea what I will do with any thing I produce though.
  • Kad likes this