The Sewing Place

Pattern for this leotard?

Lolli

Pattern for this leotard?
« on: February 28, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
Hi all, does anyone know of a pattern for this leotard? It was made for my daughter (not by me) for her dance show last year. She now wears it for her song and dance at festivals but the lycra isn't very stretchy and so it's becoming too small already. I'm thinking of attempting to make her a new one
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:31:52 AM by Lolli »

Lolli

Re: Pattern for this leotard?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »
I've searched the entire internet, can't find anything like it with the deep plunge at the front. I'm starting to think the lady who made it, made her own pattern

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
Lolli what about looking at swimsuit patterns?  If you could get the styling, I'm sure you could transfer it to an ordinary leotard pattern.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lolli

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
Ooh o.k, I shall have a look. Thank you

Lolli

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
I have a leotard pattern but it'll probably be too small now.
Would this (probably barmy and not at all feesable) idea work?

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 13:06:54 PM »
Lolli, I think you could use any leotard pattern here and just cut the front yourself. I would make it up with a normal front and add the nude insert behind, sew it to the shape you want then trim the pink fabric to that shape. If you want a pattern with this already in try Jalie Deep V illusion skating dress or the Long sleeveless Unitard pattern which you could easily adapt. Jalie patterns can be downloaded as pdfs and are great to adapt and mix and match designs. Tried for pics but couldn't do it sorry x
Was Sewnanny

lakaribane

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 13:15:43 PM »
Maybe take a look at Jalie's patterns for Figure-skating and gymnastics?

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 13:17:24 PM »
I think I would be tempted to invest in some cheap lycra, and using a basic leotard pattern, cut a basic shape, and do as Lollipop suggests with the nude insert.

Jalie patterns are excellent, and if I remember correctly they also have good tutorials.

I made my first swimsuit a while ago, and wondered why it took me so long.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lolli

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 13:36:05 PM »
Excellent, thanks all. I think I'll risk it for a biscuit and make a toile first using a basic pattern and try to cut out the plunge myself.

Is any particular nude mesh recommended? If so what shade?

After I've cut the plunge out, do I fold the edge in towards the mesh then sew to tidy it up?

You lot are gonna wish I never joined this forum with all the questions I ask

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 13:46:11 PM »
I think the nude piece would anchor the side fronts together. If you think the nude is too see through, just use it double.

Have a really good look inside the original, take pictures and measurements, and make notes.  You may have to do a couple of toiles, but when you get the hang of how it's working out, it should be straightforward.

I'll enjoy watching your progress as my DGD has just started gymnastics, and her mum has just spent a fortune on one set of kit!

Jessie

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 15:13:38 PM »
I've had a good look at the original and it's made out of multiple panels, 4 at the front and 4 at the back. Is it possible this was made from a stretch tutu pattern?
Not sure if you can make it out on the pics.

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 15:39:36 PM »
Lolli, that shouldn't be too difficult to do.  Looks to me like a princess seam leotard pattern which has been altered.  The alteration for the nude panel is done on the cf panels.  I'm sure you can do this!

I'm cheering you on here! 

Jessie

Lolli

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 17:35:23 PM »
Your faith in me is very encouraging!  :D

I'll have a look to see if I can find a princess seam leotard....(disappearing into the world of the web)

Lolli

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 18:51:39 PM »
No joy. Can only find one Jalie pattern (2915) but it's a top not a leotard (even though it says leotard on the description?) so I'll have to go back to plan A

Lollipop

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 20:12:17 PM »
You can get a stretch tutu pattern from Dani Legge direct or Tutus that Dance or Tutus and Textiles that has mock princess seams, much easier.
This tutu uses that pattern and she also explains in the instructions how to do the nude insert.
Good luck and just keep asking  :D
Was Sewnanny