Lolli

Re: Pattern for this leotard?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 19:55:28 PM »
Brilliant, thank you for the links
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 20:07:51 PM by Lolli »

Marniesews

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 20:08:18 PM »
6cm may sound like a lot at first but if you divide it between your side seams it's only 1.5cm to add front and back, not so much that you can't just cut it out a little wider over the hips.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 20:20:47 PM »
Oh that sounds better....I thought it was a disaster! Thanks (again!)

Lollipop

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 11:19:31 AM »
The link for the cheap scuba for practising is  shop.coalvillefabrics.co.uk
Was Sewnanny

Marniesews

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »
You can use scuba but the one I've experimented with it in the past but it only had effective one-way stretch (and not even much stretch that way either) so you can't really go by your pattern sizing - I had to go up one size every time. Something to bear in mind.

I'd suggest you get along to Immanuel's in Burnley tomorrow. Assuming they have some in it'll be only £2pm.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2018, 23:10:42 PM »
I was thinking of going back to Immanuels for some cheap lycra. I had such success last time, bought lots of different fabrics for not much money. I'm wondering if it's bad with snow there though, I'll have to investigate
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 23:55:07 PM by Lolli »

Lolli

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
Oh and lining, what type should I use? I think that's it for questions for now

Lollipop

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 21:35:35 PM »
I will send you a message Lolli.
I didn't realise you were near Immanuels - ignore what I said about fabric and go there!!
Marnie, I agree about the scuba, the one I have has a decent stretch.
For small patterns like that I use baking paper to trace the pattern, and for larger I bought some metre wide tracing paper that planners use from ebay I think it was about a tenner for 20 meters.
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 22:28:06 PM »
I went to Immanuel's this afternoon, got 9 metres lycra for £18 (bargain!). I know it's WAY more than I need....couldn't help but get a decent stash while I was there.

MitchOfTheNorth

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2018, 22:38:10 PM »
When I added a deep V to a unitard, I made a mock-up first without the V.  Then, I had the dancer try it on & sketched in the shape on her.  Remember that the fabric stretches - I've made a few scandalous mock-ups by mistake.  This way when she takes it off the V will be the right size to cut as a pattern piece.  Also, you may not need the full 6 cm at the hip - it could end up baggy.  I suggest measuring the actual pattern at the hip and comparing it to the measurements that it says that it fits.  That ratio is probably what you want to stick to.  Happy sewing
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

Marniesews

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 22:45:02 PM »
Oh, I do envy you & Immanuel's. Not sure if it was open when we lived up there (left in 1982).

Fabricland's lining isn't bad actually.

Regarding the paper: it's spot and cross paper traditionally used for pattern drafting but not essential for tracing patterns (although I use it for that too). I like it because the markings help with orientation, keeping things on grain. It's not as easy to see through for tracing but I'm not bothering with 2 different lots of paper.

Lolli

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2018, 15:53:58 PM »
Brilliant thank you all for the tips and advice. I think I've got enough lycra to make 8-9 leotards so at least I've got enough incase I have plenty of disasters.
Just waiting for the pattern instructions to arrive so I can sit with a brew and swat up

Lolli

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2018, 19:56:21 PM »
Can I ask what does 'clip to dot' mean on pattern instructions?

Also the pattern says to only to add lining in the body area, leaving the pants area as one layer for extra stretch. As on this occasion I'm only making the leotard part and not the tutu, would I be o.k to fully line it? Don't want the pants area to be slightly see through  -<
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 20:15:44 PM by Lolli »

Marniesews

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2018, 02:29:35 AM »
The clip to dot means to snip in from the seam allowance as far as the dot marked on the pattern while being careful not to go beyond. It may be where the pattern piece turns a corner so you need to release the fabric in the seam allowance to allow it to open (or overlap) when the garment is opened out. Sometimes it may be because you're attaching a facing partway along the seam and the seam allowance needs to split so part of it can be tucked inside the facing separately from the rest of the seam allowance. Not sure I've described that particularly well but hope you've got the gist.

Lining? I've used lycra lining to interline a bodice front from sweetheart neck to crotch without any noticeable reduction in stretch. Just check that your lining has reasonable stretch. This one didn't have separate panties.

nude lining attached to white lycra (the white on the right is mesh overlapped from the upper bodice)

Lolli

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
Oh I see! I've done that before on other patterns but it was was worded as 'clip seams' hence the confusion  :S

For the mock up I'm just going to use the same lycra for lining as I make it with but for the real thing I'll get some lycra lining. I was hoping it would be o.k to fully line, just wasn't sure if it would make a big difference to the stretch. Thank you for your help once again!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 15:35:52 PM by Lolli »