The Sewing Place

How close should facing be to the slanted zip

Gernella

How close should facing be to the slanted zip
« on: March 01, 2018, 18:33:30 PM »
I'm doing this
http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/McCalls-7694.html

Looking at the left hand side as you wear it, the front facing butts up to the left side of the zip.  How close does it need to be to the zip? 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

DementedFairy

Re: How close should facing be to the slanted zip
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 21:40:46 PM »
 I would think it would depend on the turn of cloth- a thick fabric would force a gap, a fine fabric could get very close.  I think I'd assemble all the bits, turn under seam allowances, and sandwich the zip, stitching from the outside, so you can see what's what.
C'est moi!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 22:12:00 PM »
I have that on my Ziggi jacket, currently under construction.  I wanted to have as little of the zip tape visible as possible because I couldn't get a matching colour.  My fabric is a fairly good weight cotton moleskin and I have about 2mm of the tape visible.  Before  I actually sewed it I tried to gauge how close I could get by sliding the puller up and down to make sure the fabric didn't get caught in it.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm using a medium weight drill fabric and the zip tape is not that far out on colour.  Thinking about it, I've just 'discovered' quilting clips, so I could clip right up to the zip and then pull up to see if it is smooth.  I would imagine a good press afterwards will also help. 

Thanks, after I'd posted this I was beginning to think I'd made a problem out of something that wasn't and I was over complicating.

Might be something to do with the fact that the ripper has had a lot of action recently.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 13:09:11 PM »

Audition the placement/positioning with -
Wash Away Wonder Tape,     Wash Away Wonder Tape,     Wash Away Wonder Tape

various brands eg. Collins, Dritz, Prym.

Simple, Easy, Terrific for precision and pattern matching, Ideal for re-positioning, Holds everything in place, No need for nasty pins, fiddly clips or even basting/tacking, Sew through it without gumming up the needle

It's the ideal method for zip insertion and holding things in place exactly where you want them
Zips, pattern matched seams, welts, overlaid pattern pieces (inside corners), hems and great for knit fabrics and anything that shifts around or creeps

I love the stuff, it's so useful for precision work.

Video clip of some examples
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 13:13:39 PM by Morgan »

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 14:56:32 PM »
Very natty.  I did some quilting in 2016, first time ever and got some quilting tape, I still use that for little jobs and not quilting, so I'll get some of this as well, lately I've had to match a lot of seams.

My own problem solved though, I just turned it over and used the zip stitching plus a bit.  Worked a treat.  Over thinking again as usual.