The Sewing Place

Good button supplier?

sewingj

Re: Good button supplier?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 15:31:47 PM »
Well, the buttons I ordered from TotallyButtons have arrived and I`m not impressed.
They are meant to be these:

https://www.totallybuttons.com/12mm-round-agoya-shell-button-4240.html

which to me look slightly dish-shaped and the ones they have sent are almost dead flat and look pretty much like ordinary plastic buttons. The colour is also different which I know you have to accept with internet stuff but the shape ought to be ok!
 I`ve emailed to say I`m not happy

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 15:41:01 PM »
They are definitely slightly cupped - you can see it from the way the light shines on them.  Do yours have the same differing textures on the back and front?  Shell shouldn't feel like plastic.    (I'm wondering whether there is any change they've sent you the wrong ones.)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 16:05:33 PM »
They are definitely slightly cupped - you can see it from the way the light shines on them.  Do yours have the same differing textures on the back and front?  Shell shouldn't feel like plastic.    (I'm wondering whether there is any change they've sent you the wrong ones.)

They are different on the front and back but definitely not what I was expecting.  Perhaps they are flatter because they are small?  The correct identification number is written on the packet.  I`ll just have to wait and see what they say.  If all else fails, they will do, but it`s disappointing when they have cost 75p per button including postage! (You live and learn!)

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 16:14:59 PM »
Yes, it could well be because of the size - I noticed that they have exactly the same picture for every size of those buttons, and if they're made from shell they simply can't look the same because of the difference in the proportions.   -<
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 16:46:34 PM »
I often buy buttons from antiques fairs and centres too. There are often baskets full of them (handily sewn onto cards) to rummage through.

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 16:51:26 PM »
I would put it down to the natural curvature of the shell.  And I've definitely had some natural shell buttons that looked plastic...
C'est moi!

MOPBUTTONS

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 15:12:30 PM »
Advertising Removed by Admins.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 16:01:06 PM by Acorn »

maliw

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 17:12:24 PM »
duttonsforbuttons.co.uk  ? I've never used them but they look to have a good supply.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Efemera

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 18:15:12 PM »
duttonsforbuttons.co.uk  ? I've never used them but they look to have a good supply.
They have a shop in York... prices are expensive.

Ellabella

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 19:07:12 PM »
They have a shop in York... prices are expensive.

And you have to be on your best behaviour when you go in!

Efemera

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 20:30:53 PM »
I’ve noticed that...they watch you all th time  :ninja: makes you feel really uncomfortable.