The Sewing Place

Watch Craftsy classes for free this weekend

Ohsewsimple

Re: Watch Craftsy classes for free this weekend
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 14:42:05 PM »
I decided to go for Alison Smith's tailoring guide.  I have saved it, but wonder if it will expire after 4 March.  Anyone know?
@UttaRetch yes they will disappear I'm afraid. 

DementedFairy

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 14:43:17 PM »
I was going to watch a acouple...but haven't bothered [I have two or three paid for courses I haven't bothered to finish.  On the whole, good as they are, I tend to just work out my own methods!
C'est moi!

classical retro

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 16:03:31 PM »
I watched the Alison Smith Couture Finishing Techniques class which is informative. It was good seeing it in action rather than just reading it, so I feel more confident when trying different techniques on my garments. The handstitching and seams (lessons 1&2) were quite straightforward and I skipped through them.
Glanced at the Suzy Furrer pants drafting and was glad I hadn't paid for it. Looked in more detail at the yoke and welt pockets.
Off to view the Dressmaking Techniques now.
CR :angel:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 16:08:54 PM by classical retro »

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 17:51:59 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation @Ohsewsimple.  I have watched the ones I earmarked and am part way through a Joi Mahon.

Helen M

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 19:28:11 PM »
Don't know if any of you are able to 'capture' sound to your computer I've recorded the sound from a couple that I've watched. Sound alone explaining something does help!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Puzzler

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 20:05:10 PM »
I watched Linear Landscape Quilts. I’m now itching to have a go but I don’t have time. I was not familiar with that particular quilter. Now two of her books are on my Amazon wish list. A few of her quilts were displayed in the background of the videos. Stunning.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 13:13:52 PM »
OOOhhh that was one of the first classes I bought

Firstly the free BOM 2012 and 2013,
then Anita Grossman Solomans Traditional blocks made simple
then Linear Landscapes

look what came out of it!!!!

The Phoenix
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

lakaribane

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 13:59:56 PM »
I tried to watch as much as I could but there was a big family wedding on Sat and well, Sunday I was feeling the... intestinal after-effects :P

I did check out a few classes I had been interested in (cooking! baking!) but mostly took advantage of as many Sewing class materials as I could think to check out.

My mother got into it but she's not as fluent in English as I am and the no-CC format of the Unlimited classes is a deterrent. I need to check if the regular format has CC in other languages for her.

As a consequence, I will be adding a few new classes to my wishlist as well as some book titles. Like the one about sewing machine feet!

Pearl

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 17:29:44 PM »
OOOhhh that was one of the first classes I bought

Firstly the free BOM 2012 and 2013,
then Anita Grossman Solomans Traditional blocks made simple
then Linear Landscapes

look what came out of it!!!!

The Phoenix

I have that class too.  Look what came out of it.

Yes, that's right - nothing (yet!).  Yours in beautiful. Imi.  I wish I was there now instead of in Coventry in the rain.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 17:32:34 PM by Pearl »

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 18:16:53 PM »
I watched three, but overall I didn't find the content all that informative and was glad they were free. 

Marniesews

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 18:55:10 PM »
Yes, I went through at least 3 or 4 I think - which was an achievement as we were out all day Saturday and not very compos mentis on Sunday - that seems to be the norm for me these days after a trip to London.

I was able to pick up useful info in some that I've made notes on. I'd been pondering on Jenny Rushmore's FBA for any pattern as I've a challenging FBA on a lycra dress with princess seams for a large cup size to tackle soon. Not sure it entirely helped but I did glean more info than I have elsewhere so far. No need to buy it now.

I've been disappointed with some previous classes I've bought which I felt had too much padding so I often think I can't justify their purchase for the odd golden snippet. I did get a refund for two classes that I thought particularly poor but you can't really ask for a refund when it's just not quite as good as you'd hoped. When I add up how much I've spent on my class library (none bought at full price), it's rather daunting. I do like books but it's indisputable that video is a more efficient teaching method of demonstrating techniques (when it's good).

I zoomed through a couple of Janet Pray's as best I could but it was slow going as the info trickles out as she progresses through sewing a jacket. Useful but time consuming to watch. One that I might actually buy (next time there's a good sale) is Jacque Goldsmith's Sew like a designer: fashion details. If I'd not been so tired, I'd have noted down the details of the things I liked but it was the last one I looked at (well after midnight) and I was too far gone by then. It was things like inserting pockets in darts, some of the trim details etc and hopefully more in the bits I didn't get to see.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Puzzler

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
That’s really beautiful, Imi. I like how you have interpreted the artist’s contour techniques. I would prefer to come up with my own design and use her methods which is why I am hankering after her books. Hmmm....my birthday is next month. Recently I treated myself to a couple of books, one featuring strip pieced landscapes and the other embroidered seascapes. Alas I have another 8 years or more before I can give up my day job and focus on this stuff.

Craftsy offered me 2 weeks of unlimited usage for a dollar. I just don’t have the time to watch videos and as others have said, you have to trawl through hours of footage to find the best tips and techniques.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 09:32:56 AM »
I have that landscape book too!!
but I dont ...read ... things anymore  :S

i blame my eyes!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 17:18:32 PM »
I also bought Effie Galletry's landscape book after seeing her work at the Malvern Show last spring.  I loved her landscapes - just beautiful.  Not inspired by the landscapes round here.  Think I need to relocate.

lakaribane

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 15:08:43 PM »
Well, post-Freebie Week-end, both my  mother and I received special offers.

I got 1 class or 1 DVD for $10$USD, she got 14 days of Unlimited for $1 USD. EXCEPT, the payment options for Unlimited are Paypayl or a limited, OECD-countries (in my head) list of credit card holders. So disappointing!

I saw on PR and elsewhere (IG or FB?) that they had other offers, like 1 Class or 1 DVD for $14 also.