The Sewing Place

Glue for temporally holding things togeather

westworldhost

Glue for temporally holding things togeather
« on: March 03, 2018, 13:22:19 PM »
Is there a particular glue people would recommend for holding things togeather until they have been sewed? something fast drying? (in my case denim)

I know people use pins for this, but for small things the pins can get in the way.

(Total newbie btw)

Manuela

Re: Glue for temporally holding things togeather
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 13:44:16 PM »
I haven't used it, but some people swear on using a product called 'steam a seam'.
Love your login name btw  :D

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 14:06:49 PM »
Wash Away Wonder Tape, from the post did yesterday -

Audition the placement/positioning with -
Wash Away Wonder Tape,     Wash Away Wonder Tape,     Wash Away Wonder Tape

various brands eg. Collins, Dritz, Prym.

Simple, Easy, Terrific for precision and pattern matching, Ideal for re-positioning, Holds everything in place, No need for nasty pins, fiddly clips or even basting/tacking, Sew through it without gumming up the needle and disappears on first wash.  (Also very useful as a hoop grip aid in machine embroidery - stick to the bottom of the inner hoop)

It's the ideal method for zip insertion and holding things in place exactly where you want them
Zips, pattern matched seams, welts, overlaid pattern pieces (inside corners), hems and great for knit fabrics and anything that shifts around or creeps

I love the stuff, it's so useful for precision work.

Video clip of some examples

washi

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 19:37:12 PM »
I use a washable school glue stick for holding things like pockets and hems in place while I sew. Fast, cheap and easy. If I am really impatient I will go over the fabric/glue sandwich with an iron to dry it faster, but really it dries very quickly on its own. I use scotch magic tape to hold things in place, too, as you can stitch through it and easily remove it after.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 21:52:39 PM »
I sometimes use the Stick and Spray (505) and it works fine. It's a bit like candy floss when it comes out of the can so don't spray too hard.
Was Sewnanny

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 14:28:52 PM »
Another fan of wash away basting tape.  No mess.  Always used for zips, precision placement of pockets or anything else. 

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »
Amazing really.  When I first started sewing, I had an old  Singer, the fabric, a reel of thread, a needle (that lasted ages), a pair of scissors and a tape measure (I think, not sure about that one).  nearly 60 years later I'm still finding things that make sewing easier that I've missed along the way. :)
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

maryannm

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 15:07:17 PM »
I use Elmers School Glue for a lot of things - If that won't stick it, I use wonder tape

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 15:27:54 PM »
I thought Elmer's was PVA which wouldn't wash out that well? Might damage the fabric too.

washi

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 21:59:23 PM »
I thought Elmer's was PVA which wouldn't wash out that well? Might damage the fabric too.

Elmer's school glue is meant to wash out and generally does. It doesn't take a lot to hold things for sewing, which also helps to keep the drying time at a minimum, though it still needs a good half hour or more.

Elmer's regular white glue is PVA and doesn't wash out well at all.

Roger

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
PVA - I still remember my mum writing off a very plush 80s new bottle green corderey (sp) suit after about 2 wears picking my brother and his pile of junk modelling up from school. PVA all down the sleeve (elbow to cuff)... Ouch!

I love the idea tho of using washable kids glues - and especially ironing them to get them to dry and stick faster :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »
What's wrong with traditional thread basting for the occasional time when pins might get in the way? 

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.