The Sewing Place

Help me understand the pattern instructions please

rowe1311

Help me understand the pattern instructions please
« on: March 13, 2017, 20:03:39 PM »
As usual I need help understanding the instructions on the pattern.  I made a toile to see if it was the right size but got a bit confused by the interfacing.  When I baste the neckline the interfacing is folded outwards as per the instructions but when I turn it in should I unpick the stitches on upper neckline or have it like in picture on the left hand side.  I just don't know how I would do the binding then.  It seems so simple but hard to get my head around.

rowe1311

Re: Help me understand the pattern instructions please
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 20:06:43 PM »
Unfortunately the photos of the instructions are too blurred to read, but if you know what I am supposed to do by looking at the pictures then great, but if not I will take a picture of them tomorrow when it will be clearer in the daylight.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 20:14:17 PM »
I think you leave it basted until you attach the collar or other neckline finish, then turn the lot through in one go
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 20:14:26 PM »
Which pattern are you making and are you confusing INTERFACING with FACING?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 20:36:19 PM »
Are you talking about taking out the staystitching?
You should have stats itched the neck edge to stop it stretching.  The binding is sewn to the neckline RS together. The ends of the binding sit on top of the folded back facings when sewn.  Press   and then you should really remove the staystitching.  I'm often guilty of leaving it in.  The staystitching shouldn't show on the right side because it should always be sewn within the seam allowance. When turned to the right side the binding sits underneath the folded back facings.  You should then top stitch after pressing etc. 
Hope this helps a bit.

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 20:42:51 PM »
It is butterick 6659 and has buttons down the back which is why I am to add interfacing to the upper back self facing. 

I think I probably need more visual images to get my head around it, but will try and put some binding on the toile to practice it as I skipped that step to save my binding.  The thing that confuses me is to turn it inside it would mean it would look like the left hand side on my toile.  Maybe with the binding it might look better.  Sorry I am not able to explain myself better but will have a play around and see what happens

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 20:57:01 PM »
The interfacing will be placed on the wrong side of the facing. So looking at your yellow fabric, the facing is folded back so right side of facing is touching right side of garment.  The interfacing will therefore be facing you.   The binding is then added.  When it is all turned to the right side, the interfacing will be inside and hidden behind the facing. The binding will be turned right over on the seamline. Trust me, it should work.  :). It,s so hard to explain.  I could show you in a few seconds.  :D. Get some bias binding and just have a practise.  It,s always good to try out the techniques before doing it on the real thing.  If you mess it up on the trial, you,ll k ow how to sort it on the real thing.  0_0

rowe1311

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 22:37:21 PM »
Well this is how it turned out when following what I think the instructions mean.  I turned the facing inside on one side before putting the binding on so that is why that side is longer as the binding didn't get folded in.  Is that what it is supposed to look like or should it not go to the end of the back bodice instead?   

still slightly baffled. 
Angela

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 13:53:42 PM »
No no no :'(.  Once the self facing is turned backwards so RS together, put the binding in then. The binding will cover over part of the facing.  Once it is all stitched across the neck, turn the whole lot through. The diagram shows it fairly well but I know it's hard to get your head round things if you aren't used to it.   I will see if I can find a few minutes to do a quick mock up and post.  Am at work at the moment so give me a while

rowe1311

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 14:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the help.   I thought I was doing something wrong but haven't quite figured it out.  I am sure when I know how I will realise how easy it was.  I was trying to look for a tutorial online but don't even know what it would be called so haven't found anything.  The only thing I found was how to add facing which I don't think is the same. 

Angela

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 18:14:57 PM »
I'm hoping I've done this right with the photos  :|
They show the binding put on, overlapping the self facing. Then the binding and facing turned the right way out. The facing covers the binding.  And then the right side of the garment.  This was cut in a hurry from scraps at work and the binding, made from fabric, has been stretched a bit.
Hope this makes it a bit clearer.  The binding must be put on BEFORE you turn the facing through.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 18:57:13 PM »
As ohsewsimple shows, the binding needs to be all on the inside, rather than "over" the edge and showing on the right and wrong sides - if that makes sense!

rowe1311

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 19:42:33 PM »
Okay I finally get it, and realise the binding isn't supposed to be seen, and now it all makes sense.  When I looked at the front picture I just assumed the binding was showing but obviously it is just the stitch line you can see. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Pictures make it so much easier for me to understand than the drawings. 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 21:51:07 PM »
You are very welcome!  Another technique learned.  0_0