The Sewing Place

casting on using the thumb method

Kenora

Re: casting on using the thumb method
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 22:35:10 PM »
I must be an awkward so-and-so, Brenda - I would much rather rip out a gazillion stitches and start again, than have to weave in an extra end. It's a job I really hate.  :devil:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
if I cast on with two needles I end up with a row of loose loops along then bottom edge,
@Fiona M When you cast on with 2 needles do you work the first row through the back of the stitches.  That's how I was taught to do it and it does away with the loops.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 18:46:11 PM »
  work the first row through the back of the stitches

That's what I do and it gives a neater edge than knitting into the loop of the stitch you've just made.

Lincoln hobbit

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 19:10:18 PM »
I use the thumb method for most casting on, and find it easier to do, but it gives quite a tight first row and I knit very tightly anyway. However I'm currently knitting socks (4th pair nearly done!) and use the two needle method as it makes it looser and means I can actually wear the finished item. So I think it's a choice depending on what you're making. Deciding how much of a tail you need for the thumb method gets easier with practise - though it is more than annoying if you run out before you have the number of stitches you need. >:)

justpottering

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 16:36:26 PM »
Great replies ladies thank you, this cardigan does have a looser edge using this cast on method, but I still find it a bit of a faff, still I'm happy to do what the pattern suggests even if I don't particularly like it  -<
I do like a bit of knitting in the evenings as I can knit and watch tele at the same time, that's when there's something worth watching that is  :S
Thanks again
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Bogwoppit

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 22:15:37 PM »
Bit late to this thread but I read somewhere that for thumb method you need at least three times as much yarn as for the length needed.

I use thumb method for hats, top down socks, and mittens. So that's three times round my head and add a bit for luck, three times round my leg, etc.

Worked every time so far.

Xx Lisa.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.