The Sewing Place

Yet another wedding guest dress!

Acorn

Re: Yet another wedding guest dress!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
Oh yes - Mr Acorn has a suit with military hems, and they look wonderful  (I didn't know that was what they were called though - you learn something every day!   :) )
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 15:33:30 PM »
I’m also a big fan of trouser cuffs on suits. And English tailoring (which are strange little clips on the waistline that allow for a couple of inches adjustment without using a belt.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

DementedFairy

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »

It's like DementedFairy and pussybows!  :D

I thought you were being  a bit saucy for  a moment there Fran!  Nasty secretarial Miss Moneypenny Margaret Thatcher tie neck blouses.  Ew.  I wouldn't tie a bow round a cat, let alone a grown woman.

Yes fashion is for wimps, style is way preferable!
C'est moi!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 08:30:35 AM »
@Francesca  Oh my. I had a dress just like the one on the right, same color and almost identical print, though the flowers were a brighter pink and it also had a peplum. I bought it to wear as a wedding guest. The year? It was 1988 or 1989. Fashion does indeed come around, again and again.

Re the shorter men's pants, rather than half mast here we call them "high waters". So very handy when you flood the living room yet again.  :toast:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:33:12 AM by Renegade Sewist »
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath. w.c. fields

Efemera

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 09:13:19 AM »
I love ankle grazer pants...great for showing off your shoes... I love shoes too!

UttaRetch

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »
... fashion is for wimps, style is way preferable!
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
Need to get back to thinking about this dress. I know it's early but I like to have fabric ordered and have it on my "schedule" ready so I know when I need to start sewing. Especially as I need to make the flowergirl dress for this same wedding.

I've bought shoes and hat, and located two fabrics I like that will work. I've ordered samples of both and will see which I prefer and matches well. Both are suiting type fabrics so should have a bit of drape but also structure.

Call me crazy, but I've decided i'm desperate to get a little houndstooth into this design. I don't know why but in my head it works. I'm thinking in the form of some piping somewhere.

I'm still undecided on the pattern. Whether to go ahead with the original idea in the first post or opt for something different. I should probably just make what I intended before I change my mind.

I won't be starting it until late August, keen to get it done before mid-September so I can leave flowergirl dress until as close as I can manage without giving myself a panic attack - in case the babe grows. Plus I know I'm more likely to have a disaster with my own dress than a baby dress so might need time for new ideas. I'm not sure whether to just start it now and have it done. I'm currently losing weight, about 1lb a week but I've got a few holidays in between then and now so that'll probably be less. I don't know whether to get it out of the way and possibly have to take it in, or leave it until late and sew it to fit.

Francesca

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 16:37:50 PM »
Fabric has arrived today. It is the same lovely sateen I used for my cousin's dress. They didn't have enough left for the continuous 3.5m I ordered (overkill really) but have sent me a 3m piece and a 1.6m piece with the extra free of charge. I don't think I'll have problems with that as it's princess seamed so lots of panels and very little on-the-fold at least for the bodice. I've ordered stretch lining too, waiting for it to arrive.

I've got a few things to get on with (flower girl dress is more important and I also want to finish the skirt adjustment for my Doris Dress before I put it aside) but this will be my next big project.

I'm hoping using a Lekala skirt pattern will make things a bit easier. Just need to get going on adjusting the bodice to fit.

Francesca

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 13:13:44 PM »
So the skirt pattern is sorted but I'm now changing my mind IRT the bodice. I've realised that the pattern is really on the small side and I don't know if I'm comfortable grading up as much as it needs it - causing distortion of the pattern.

I've saved a few of these pics on Pinterest for creating necklines similar to what I'm after, and wondering if I'm made to try and attempt this based off my sloper.

Francesca

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »
Right, back to thinking about this as I want the toile done this weekend.

I am toying with going BACK to the original McCalls pattern, but now I'm thinking with adjustments needed maybe it's time to finally put my sloper to good use.. Cut straight across about 2/3 up the armhole and add that wide band. My fabric has a bit of stretch so I will be able to make it tight but still have flexibility to move my arms. I have a faux fur wrap to wear during the (most probably unless rain) outdoor ceremony so I won't need to stuff myself into a jacket.