The Sewing Place

Paper for tracing patterns off

Swisslass

Paper for tracing patterns off
« on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
What does everyone use? I got out a pattern last night to reuse, and it's so flimsy it's not really reusable
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Ploshkin

Re: Paper for tracing patterns off
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »
I use Burda tracing paper which I find good - stronger than commercial patterns these days but thin enough to be flexible. I've got a pack of big sheets.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »
I use Burda tracing paper too.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:13 AM »
I bought a pack of 2 Banqueting Rolls, each 1.2 x 90m, so it should last me a while!  It is only just see-through, so you do have to peer a bit to see the lines.  It's strong enough to do FBAs and generally withstands a fair bit of handling.  It's big enough for the larger pattern pieces and after the initial outlay ( around £15 from memory) it's cheap as chips.  Costco have them.  I have a vague memory of seeing some in Ikea once, but when I asked at a later visit I was told they had never stocked such a thing.

Of course you can also use it for table covers......

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
I've got a big roll of architects' tracing paper (vegetable parchment/greaseproof but thick) inherited from my Dad who was a draftsman but when it's all gone.......
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
I use proper tracing paper, the sorta brittle stuff? I have it on a big roll.

I trace with that, then if the pattern is good and after adjustments I trace it onto Swedish tracing paper which I then hang up.

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »
Burda paper here too. I pattern fit before cutting and find it stronger than the original pattern paper but still soft enough to mould to the body.
Procrastination get behind me

Maximum

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
I was given a roll of tracing vellum. It is fabulous stuff and really easy to work with. It is easy to see through and rubbing out does not create holes or tears. You can also fold out darts without it creasing and going fragile in the surrounding areas. I believe it's the sort of stuff architects use.

Swisslass

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
Thanks for your replies, I'm not a fan of burda paper though I do use their squared paper, I'm after something a bit more robust, I like the sound of drafting paper/tracing paper as I prefer it on a roll.

I was also looking at the price of STP
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 13:54:07 PM »
Thanks for your replies, I'm not a fan of burda paper though I do use their squared paper, I'm after something a bit more robust, I like the sound of drafting paper/tracing paper as I prefer it on a roll.

I was also looking at the price of STP

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 17:16:17 PM »
I used to use Prym's tracing paper rolls which worked well enough and were softer than the Burda paper and more translucent but did tear fairly easily. I'd previously used draftman's tracing film but what I had was pretty thick, sometimes folding left white lines, it was quite bulky to fold into envelopes and it had sharp edges and points when folded too -  :|

Then after reading the TSF post I tried out a 10m roll of the traditional spot and cross paper from William Gee and liked that a lot as I'm starting to do more drafting now and it has a bit more substance to it so it erases pretty well and, while not being very see-through and despite not having the best eyesight these days, I can trace patterns with the assistance of a decent light. I don't use the markings a lot but I find them useful for extra grain matching opportunities when the single line doesn't fall in a nice place on the fabric and when I'm drafting it's a handy extra check that my lines are parallel or at right angles. They have the same paper unmarked too.

So when my 10m roll ran out I went for a 136m roll of the 122mm width (great for all those big circular ballroom skirts) and it works out at less than 30p a metre! There's also 90cm & 152cm widths and 150cm rolls if you're wallpapering with it!  > -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 17:51:57 PM »
I don't always trace patterns but when I do I use proper tracing paper or have used rolls of white parchment which is quite sturdy.
Willing but not always able :)

rowe1311

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 19:52:56 PM »
I use proper tracing paper, the sorta brittle stuff? I have it on a big roll.

I trace with that, then if the pattern is good and after adjustments I trace it onto Swedish tracing paper which I then hang up.

Where do you get your tracing paper from Fran?  I have pattern paper but it was quite cheap and it is pretty difficult to see through.  I would like to find something that is a bit more see through so I wouldn't hate the tracing part as much as I do. 

maliw

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 17:03:22 PM »
I use cheapo lining paper from that well known DIY store and a tracing wheel. I've got my traced patterns rolled up and fastened with masking tape as I've reused several of them and the masking tape comes off easily and doesn't spoil them.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

sewmuchmore

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 18:47:08 PM »
If it is a pattern i know i will be using time and again i iron light weight interfacing onto the back of the pattern. This makes it more robust but still pliable enough to work with especially when doing things like tailor tacks. 
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet