The Sewing Place

Paper for tracing patterns off

Lilian

Re: Paper for tracing patterns off
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 18:57:35 PM »
If it is a pattern i know i will be using time and again i iron light weight interfacing onto the back of the pattern. This makes it more robust but still pliable enough to work with especially when doing things like tailor tacks.

What a great idea!  Thanks for the tip  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
Buy a big roll of tracing paper from an art supplier, but make sure it's see through enough.  Ask me how I know?  :'(

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
Sure-fit Designs in the USA launched a UK Rep and website last year, the Rep is Jude Johnson and can be found on Sure-fit Designs UK, P.O. Box 748, Oxfordshire  OX 16 6PA.  If you go looking at her site  Sure-fit Designs UK there is  a phone number and you can e-mail her as well.

Jude stocks all the Sure-fit Designs books, DVDs, all the accessories and of course the rolls of Tracing Vellum that has been specially sourced here in the UK.

If Swisslass is coming to the UK for Easter, maybe an idea to get in touch with Jude and have this sent to an address here in the UK ready waiting for you.  It comes in a cardboard tube, and the roll is 640mm x 20m at £13.95 per roll.

I believe a lot of research went into finding this particular tracing vellum so that it is equivalent to the product they use in the USA.

Swisslass

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
Swisslass has just ordered a 136m roll of dot'n'cross paper from William Gee.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Snowgoose

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 14:16:07 PM »
If it is a pattern i know i will be using time and again i iron light weight interfacing onto the back of the pattern. This makes it more robust but still pliable enough to work with especially when doing things like tailor tacks.

Thank you from me, too  :flower:  This is a great tip - off I go to eBay to look for lightweight interfacing  8)

Swisslass

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 13:12:13 PM »
Decided to try the interfacing tip on a pattern yesterday, it didn't work. I used some light interfacing but it wouldn't stick to the pattern at any price, stuck well on the ironing board cover but not the pattern. Palmer/Pletsch also recommend this method, any clues?
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 14:11:07 PM »
I hope you didn't ruin the pattern.

Snippet

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 15:03:13 PM »

That's a great tip!

I use Burda tracing paper and then roll the pattern up and stash it in a cardboard kitchen roll inner - I write the pattern name etc on it and sometimes stick on a photo too.  :)