The Sewing Place

Silly question

sewmuchmore

Silly question
« on: March 09, 2018, 19:24:44 PM »
I am still pondering on buying a coverstitch machine and just wondered, do you use yours to hem only stretch fabrics or are they more versatile.
What do you use yours for?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

crafter

Re: Silly question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 19:35:20 PM »
I use for hemming lots of things.  I particularly like the finish on linens.  You can also do a chain stitch on them - well you can on mine anyway.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 20:04:06 PM »
Hems, necklines and I like to use reverse coverstitch to sew on pockets....I’m upgrading mine shortly.

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 21:39:14 PM »
Well i haven't had mine long, but it does make great hems & necklines on stretch fabric but also neat 2 (or3) lines of stitching on any fabric. I haven't tried out chainstitch yet but that would be quite decorative. I'm making a denim.pinafore dress for my granddaughter and am planning to sew pockets on with contrast looper thread showing on the right side.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 22:30:42 PM »
Hems, necklines.  It,s used for decorative stitching too.  Wouldn't be without one.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 19:23:28 PM »
Thanks every body, I have umned and arred for about 6 months, would it get used? what else will it do? do i sew enough jersey to justify expense? etc. etc. Should i buy second hand to start with, I thought about @Efemera selling hers when she had upgraded.

So today went cruising round tinternet just to see what there was/compare etc. and low and behold a Janome 2000cpx fell into my shopping cart. It is a re-boxed but selling as new from Tysew (who i have bought machines from before, very efficient) at £399. RRP £499 and it has been dispatched already.

It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 20:43:54 PM »
You won't regret it, I love mine.

There is a very good FB group, that has lots of useful info. It's Janome Elna coverstitch group.

I've found my Janome really likes Maxilock stretch as a looper thread, though I suspect any stretchy thread will work.

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 20:46:08 PM »
... and it has been dispatched already.
Enjoy your new machine!  :D

One thing that wasn't mentioned (I don't think) was the chainstitch. I must use that almost as much as the two needle coverstitch, sometimes more. It's superb for all toiles, be it knit or woven, as you can rip it out in no time. I also like to use it when I want a straight stitch on knits that I may need to unpick - the sewing machine stretch stitches should be certified as cruel and unusual punishment when it comes to unpicking!!!  :S
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.