The Sewing Place

*PDF Warning*

b15erk

*PDF Warning*
« on: March 14, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
All excited about the Stash Sew Along yesterday, but I’d forgotten my StyleArc Barb pattern.  No worries, I downloaded and printed another copy.  I’ve already made several pairs of these, and they are excellent for work.

I wasn’t sure which size I’d used before, so did an 18, on the principle that a) I’d put a bit of weight on, and b) it’s easier to take off than add on.

And, off I went, pattern stuck together and cut out, took off 9” leg length, and cut out in fabric.  I knew I would need a bit of adjustment, but this is such a simple pattern that it can be done ‘on the hoof’.

After dinner I went up to the sewing room to do a quick ‘first fit’, on the machine rather than straight on the overlocker.

Am I glad I did!  They were huge!  Not just one size too big – Mega Big!

I have checked the Test Square, and it measures up spot on.  So, what went wrong?

I’ve got no idea.  The only thing I can think, is that the old pattern test square was wrong.  I have previously had scale problems, maybe that is it….

Anyone else had problems with PDF’s?

Mega unpicking session this morning.  Hmphhhhh.  :(

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

Re: *PDF Warning*
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
Have you sewn a Style Arc pattern in that size before?

Maybe it is just correct? Or the style has lots of ease?

If the test square on this printout measures fine then I can't see it being an issue with the PDF more with the pattern itself.

datcat23

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »
My first excursion with the StyeArc Barb pretty much encountered the same problem.  I made up the pattern, choosing the size that matched my measurements ... well actually if I went on measurements they should have been a bit tight.  Instead the resulting pants were HUGE .... not only wide at the hips/waist/thighs .... but too long, long in the crotch and too high at the waist.  It was like the entire pattern was increased by 20%.  I put the pattern away for the moment, as I just don't get where it went wrong. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
Fran, I've made this pattern up at least 6 times.  I had just left my pattern at home, and printed off another.  I don't think there should be a total of 12" ease just by going up a size!

DC, was yours a StyleArc pattern?  It's made me a bit cautious about PDF's.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
Fran, I've made this pattern up at least 6 times.  I had just left my pattern at home, and printed off another.  I don't think there should be a total of 12" ease just by going up a size!

Jessie

Did you double check the test square on this printout? Was it correct?

I normally do a quick check of basic measurements on patterns before sewing them up to check I haven't got it completely wrong on the sizing. But I'm trying to figure out how it could be so different if the test square is correct.

US letter paper scaling perhaps? That's nearly tripped me a few times.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:07 AM »
I have no clue Fran, but it's really frustrated me. I'm going to measure the new copy later, to see if the measurements correspond to StyleArcs' own measurements.

Seriously though, if I was a novice sewer, it would really put me off.  If it had happened the other way (smaller), the fabric would have been unusable.

12" is a lot of ease......

Jessie

datcat23

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »

Jessie

Yes Jessie .... the same pattern, StyleArc Barb, its my first excursion with a pants pattern from that company.  I will have to look at it again at some point.  I wouldn't be too wary of PDF's though ... there are a lot of great patterns out there.
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »
It's the first discrepancy for a while DC, the last was a few years ago on a Burda pattern.  That was the software though.

Got to do some measuring later.

Jessie

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
I have no clue Fran, but it's really frustrated me. I'm going to measure the new copy later, to see if the measurements correspond to StyleArcs' own measurements.

Seriously though, if I was a novice sewer, it would really put me off.  If it had happened the other way (smaller), the fabric would have been unusable.

12" is a lot of ease......

Jessie

Yeah it definitely seems incorrect the amount of ease. But did you measure the test square? That's your first indication that the printout is wrong. I sew a lot of PDF patterns and first stop on the checks would be test square. Then some "sense check" measurements like thigh width, waist etc. The test square really is the key.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Yup, test square measured, and spot on.

I've unpicked now, and I'm going to re-cut, using my old  Barb pattern.

No idea what has gone wrong, but will check more carefully in future. 

StyleArc haven't printed finished measurements on the pattern, so that isn't much help.  I may pop over to the website later.

Jessie

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
Yup, test square measured, and spot on.

I've unpicked now, and I'm going to re-cut, using my old  Barb pattern.

No idea what has gone wrong, but will check more carefully in future. 

StyleArc haven't printed finished measurements on the pattern, so that isn't much help.  I may pop over to the website later.

Jessie

Give Chloe and email and explain your concerns. She's really good!

Swisslass

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
I thought it was just me, I find Style Arc patterns really big, I've made the Twiggy dress and the Lana tunic and (despite measuring for the correct size) they were both huge. Both were a fag to mess with, I couldn't be bothered with the Lana tunic, I gave it away and made another. I love their style but it's put me off making any more.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 08:45:20 AM »
This pattern was seriously massive, and I've had to spend a lot of time making adjustments, as I'd cut the trousers out for the stash bust sew along.

Still making last minute alterations, but not far off, just the waistband now.

I will email S/A as soon as this challenge is finished to see if they have any clues.

Who knows, this may cost me the winning place!!  ;)

Jessie

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »
I love Style Arc, and have made up loads, both PDF and ready-to-go...and SOME of the PDFs have had this issue.  My main culprit was the Mindy skirt,  I can normally trust SA sizing, but that one had to be reduced, and reduced, and reduced.  Must have been a good four sizes out.  The first attempt [supposed to be exactly the right measurement for my hips] just fell straight down.
There was another but I can't recall off hand which it was [maybe the Etta skirt, which was also way too big?]
I haven't had the problem with all the PDFs though, and I always check scaling before wasting paper printing them out.
I'm very careful to measure before cutting now though!
I still recommend them wholeheartedly, they're such cool styles
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:29 AM »
I'm glad it wasn't just me having a 'dull' moment then!!

Managed to lick mine into shape as it was for the Stash challenge, but I'm now challenging my back tracing a top pattern (and I flippin' well know I've traced it before!)

Jessie