The Sewing Place

The Great Cushion Cover Swap 2018

Iminei

The Great Cushion Cover Swap 2018
« on: March 11, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »

2018's first Darkside event will be

The Sewing Place's Great Cushion Cover Swap

Aim:- To make a quilted cushion cover of 14, 16 or 18 inches square.

Technique:-  piecing, applique, paint, embroidery, embellished or a mix
with a zip, button or simple envelope closure.

Participants will be partnered at random,
much like TSP's successful Secret Santa event.

You will need to post a brief paragraph with your preferred colour choice,
Brights, Pastels, Monochromes, Complimentary, Greens  :devil: Purples etc

.... but the construction and design of the cover will be the Makers choice.

When you send your cover to your selected partner, you can choose to be anonymous or reveal your identity ...
but please after receiving your cover, post a pic and thank your covers Maker.

Now for the boring bits:-

This swap will run for 6 weeks from March 20th to April 30th
You can send your cushion to your partner anytime from the beginning of April but please make sure you have posted by the 30th April.

Postage will be the responsibility of the Maker and cushion inners will be the responsibility of the Recipient.

Everyone is encouraged to participate wherever in the world they may be, but please be aware that your chosen recipient may be in another country.

If you specifically do not want the small extra cost this would involve please make me aware and I will try my best to ensure you are partnered with a participant in your own country.

To register for The Great Cushion Cover Swap please post in this thread with your colour preferences and pm Iminei with your address. Your address will only be shared with TSP admins and your patrnered TSP'er .

Deadline for registering will be 6pm on the 20th March 2018.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:20:49 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

Re: The Great Cushion Cover Swap 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 15:24:15 PM »
Now that sounds eminently doable and good fun.

I love seeing other people's work and I'm looking to do a collection of patchwork cushion covers for my sitting room so a new one to start me off would be fab.

Seeing as everybody else is just looking and not committing I'll go first.

My suite is navy and my carpet and curtains are aqua and brown.

I may even decide to try out my Westalee rulers on this one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:04:15 AM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 18:24:30 PM »
Reasons not to participate:-
a)  I am trying to finish my UFOs.  (DS1 asked,"Are you still making a quilt for me?"  It's only been three years. :o :S)
b)  when we voted on activities in the darkside, I resolved only to do the ones I'd voted for.
c)  I've just started a new job covering for a teacher who is off long term sick and am not sure how long the job will last.
d)  if I were partnered with a member of darkside royalty, it would make me anxious.

Reasons to participate:-
a) I WANT A CUSHION COVER.
b) I would LOVE to own something that one of you lovely people had made.
c) if I didn't, I'd feel sad when you were all posting pics of your cushion covers.
d) The Easter hols fall in this period so I'll have time to sew.

So...
my suite is boring brown leather. I have no carpet (wooden floor, no mats because of  :woof:)  I have no curtains (yet).  Neutral walls.  I need some colour in my life.  I love jewel colours, especially batiks.

Thank you for organising this, Imi. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:05:23 AM by Iminei »

supergran

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 19:14:07 PM »
I wanted to do this one but it's the wrong time for me. My daughter is coming to visit on Tuesday and staying for a couple of weeks, and I heard this morning that my Mother died, so I'll be disappearing for a while. If I have time when I get back from UK, can I make one and just post a pic of it?  :(

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 19:16:15 PM »
I would take part.... but I just don’t like patchwork cushions..no idea why as I love quilts but couldn’t live with a patchwork cushion...I’ll wait for the next one.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 19:27:54 PM »
So sorry supergran, it's a hard time.

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 19:31:14 PM »
Oh Supergran, so sorry to hear this.  Sending thoughts and deepest sympathy.

supergran

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 19:41:00 PM »
Thank you Ellabella and Pearl. Even when you know it's fairly imminent, it still hits hard. The guilt at living so far away is horrible and I thank my lucky stars that I have two fantastic sisters who have taken such great care of Mam for me, and have never once laid the guilt thing on me. They are complete stars.

fajita

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 20:50:12 PM »
My condolences, Supergran.  :flower:

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 21:41:28 PM »
Sorry to hear your news @supergran . Although I'm guessing she will have had a long life and you have anticipated this for a while it is always hard when it comes.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 22:57:47 PM »
@supergran - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Not an easy time for you.

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 00:03:07 AM »
Oh Supergran, having lost my Mum just over a week ago I really feel for you. I know the guilt thing too as she lived in a nursing home over 300 miles away from me. I send you warmest thoughts and the hope that your sadness will ease gradually.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 00:11:11 AM »

To register for The Great Cushion Cover Swap please post in this thread ..............

@Iminei - I need to decide whether I'll have time to do this. I'd love to take part but want to be certain I'd finish it. Can you tell me when the deadline is for registering, please?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »
@Kenora

Deadline for registering has just been added ... 31st March, which if you don't decide til then still gives you a full month to complete. Obviously those that have registered early doors have two more weeks to create!

@supergran

Sorry to hear of your mum.
On a happier note if this works well we might have a Christmas Cushion swap.
Alternatively you could get your daughter to join in ???  :P

@Efemera

It doesn't have to be patchwork; Im sure whomever is partnered with you will take pity on you and choose another technique.

@Everyone

You may noticed that I have modified the Eager Beavers posts to highlight their decor and or colour choices...

Please do this when you register to make it easy for whomever is partnered with you.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:29:19 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »
I'm up for this :)
Any colour but  :x I particularly like bright colours but am open to some pastels too ;)
My room is cream with raspberry highlights and a black slate floor with a cream Afghan rug.
I'm not too keen on applique :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D