The Sewing Place

I Spy...

Efemera

I Spy...
« on: July 05, 2018, 21:36:34 PM »
I’m probably late to the party but I’ve just come across I Spy quilts, made for little ones with scraps of fabrics with all kinds of images on..... hence you can play I spy with them

Sandra

Re: I Spy...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 21:53:59 PM »
That's lovely. Wish my little ones were littler. They'd have loved that...my son especially would have enjoyed I-Spying with it.

I made a much smaller one a couple of years ago for my nephew...well, great-nephew...for his 1st birthday. It was a bit of a last minute rush job... that's why it was small.

I imagine my niece probably used it for a dog bed.  :S

Sandra.
xxx

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:29:41 AM »
Yes, they're a terrific idea for children. They can also be adapted for the elderly with cognitive decline, using a theme like gardening or motors (eg cars, trucks etc) depending on the recipient. You just have to be careful that the pictures are sort of easy to define considering vision impairement but they can be a lovely, small lap quilt or even a placemat that can spark much conversation, quiet pleasures and memories.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:16:16 AM »
Nice idea Rubes, very thoughtful...

And @Sandra, anyone who uses anything you make as a dog bed should be ashamed of themselves ... All the things Ive seen you make has been superb!

Favourites ?? ... Moi ????  :o
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
Thank you, Iminei.
I used to be very close to my niece but she's distanced herself from our side of the family over the years. There have been fall-outs with people and bad feelings but we're all very pleasant to each other when she comes here.
I'm never likely to visit her, so I've no idea if the quilt has ever been used...or if it's now lining the dog bed.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »
Sandra that is lovely!  Dog bed indeed, I do hope not!  :o

I love this idea Effie, thanks so much for posting it. I would love to be able to do something like that, but, so many scraps, so little time.....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
My dog would love that.  :loveit:  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 13:28:22 PM »
My dog would love that.  :loveit:  :ninja:

0_0 I have a second one I haven't quite put the finishing touches to. It almost identical but on a black background.  :woof:

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 13:34:29 PM »
It would even match!!!  :woof:  :D
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 13:35:22 PM »
No idea why she's sideways. She was upright when she left...  :)

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 13:36:22 PM »
It would even match!!!  :woof:  :D

0_0  0_0  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 15:44:24 PM »
I’ve made quite a few I Spy quilts. Once I’ve finished it, I make a list of all the things  I can see on the quilt in alphabetical order ( have it on a doc.in my pc to alter for each quilt) and then put as a title the baby’s name e.g. ‘Harry’s I Spy quilt- Can you find?’ Followed by the list of things. I then laminate it and give it as part of the gift. The parents seem to love it.

Here’s one I did when I didn’t know baby’s name. It had lots of animals as the theme, so I listed the animals separately. There were more animals listed on the back!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 15:52:39 PM by Sheilago »

Sakar

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 03:37:33 AM »
What a great idea and how wonderful you have made it!!!& Fab quilt!!!!!  0_0

As a dog bed? -<