The Sewing Place

The Great Cushion Cover Swap 2018

DementedFairy

Re: The Great Cushion Cover Swap 2018
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2018, 11:39:44 AM »
Hmm
Right here's my thinking:
To ME, a cushion [or any soft furnishing] is just a bit of scrap fabric, made to be sat on or leaned on to provide some comfort and a splash of colour.  Making a couple of squares to sew together holds new qualms...BUT.
I started getting alarmed when I read all those posts about agonising about colours and fabrics, fiddling with designs, ordering special bits and bobs...and there was me just planning to raid the scrap bin and knock up something fast 'n' dirty in my usual way.  I squirmed.

I knocked up my WONKY BEYOND YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE cover, and thought 'meh, whatevs, it's just a cushion cover'

THEN my gorgeous cushion arrives, beaustifully designed and executed and I looked again at the beast lurking in the corner, waiting for payday to be posted.

Jeez.

Seriously, NO.  I can't inflict that on someone who is making one of these delights.  Any cushion in this house is treated with utter disrespect, this deserves to be framed and hung on the wall.

It's actually abusive to maim this treasure OR inflict my beast on the outside world.  I'll keep the beast, and not care of the cat sicks on it, or if I forget and stand on it in my muddy shoes...the treasure deserves a place of respect!

It's simple, I'll take  a  pic, post it here later, and take pleasure in the care and thought that went into it...but send it to abetter place! <3 <3 :*
C'est moi!

Ploshkin

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
It's simple, I'll take  a  pic, post it here later, and take pleasure in the care and thought that went into it...but send it to abetter place! <3 <3 :*
No you absolutely won't @DementedFairy .
I made that specifically with YOU and your room in mind.  My humour may be a bit lame but meaningless for anyone else and the same goes for the little message inside.  I will be deeply upset if you send it away.  If you feel that strongly  you can send me your wonky effort (I don't agonise over soft furnishings) and who ever was making one for me can send it to your giftee.  Iminei knows who's who.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
@Ploshkin ...all together now...crap on a cracker...I'm it!   :)  :)  :) (My MIL's favourite was "s**t up a stick!!!!"  0_0 ).
I have learned so many things doing this that the angst has been worth it. Yesterday I learned thread hiding, today I'm learning, after Imi's tute, lengthen your stitches you plank and leave longer ends!!!! When exactly were you going to attach you walking foot?!?!?! Huh????  ><
Just you wait till next week's trousies...I'm looking at you DF!  :devil:

ETA ..and then there's the delicious piece of chiffon I bought to make a biiiig flouncy skirt. Did I mention that I haven't made clothes since 1982?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:55:08 AM by wrenkins »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Cheesecake

« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2018, 14:00:23 PM »
Just finished making mine, really enjoyed this.  Tried a design not done before but really like so glad that worked.  It’s ended up being made the size larger than I originally was aiming for but think works better.

Now I’m going to have to get on and make my husband the pair of trousers he’s been asking me about for over a year and a half...  that’s not as nice and fun!

wrenkins

« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2018, 14:47:47 PM »
I did a pattern I've never heard of either @Cheesecake and I chose it specifically with the forum in mind.
It's like a (bad) Victorian piece of jewellery. All deep and full of hidden meanings.... (I'm playing it waaaaaay up so's my cushionee looks for the hidden messages and not the dodgy sewing!!!!  :ninja:) I'll also include full interpretive instructions and then.......they'll sit on it!  0_0  0_0  0_0
Can't believe how much I've enjoyed this challenge. It's been a hoot.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Kenora

« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2018, 22:06:46 PM »
Reading all the frantic posts on here is making me nervous about my efforts too - especially since I'm a fairly new kid on the block TSP-wise, but I'm telling myself the reason we're all taking part in this swap is not because we're desperate for new cushions, but because we actually enjoy being a part of something like this, whatever it is.  :) Receiving a cushion made specially for me has been a lovely bonus. I've never joined in a cushionalongathon before but I've definitely enjoyed it and, what's more, would do it again. :D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 22:39:10 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

wrenkins

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
Oh Kenora you made me laugh...desperate for new cushions.  0_0
I love that nobody gives two hoots what they get but cares that their recipient isn't disappointed. It says a lot about the people here.
I once knew someone who was worried sick about her secret Santa. I assumed it was because she didn't want to disappoint anyone. No! It was because if she got something that she considered c**p, she'd be gutted! I coudn't believe what I was hearing!  :o
Personally, now that I'm out the other end, I think we should have one every week!!!   :o  KIDDING!

Iminei

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
Pics @DementedFairy Pics please!!! You know the score!

and if you wont, I'll get your gifter to post a pic ... I know who you are all paired with you know!!!!!  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
@Iminei I'm forgot to take a pic before I sent it so nothing here apart from a few fabric scraps.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »
Are you sure you're not in collusion with the Dark Fairy????

Never mind, I'm sure The Fairy will man up and post the pics, it was stipulated in the rules after all !!!

Ellabella

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Are you sure you're not in collusion with the Dark Fairy????

Never mind, I'm sure The Fairy will man up and post the pics, it was stipulated in the rules after all !!!

I'm sure The Fairy always obeys all stipulated rules at all times!!!

Iminei

« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Right Ladies,

Its the last(ish) week of April ... deadline to send your cushion is 30th April!!!!!!

So a shout out to .......

@DementedFairy
@Lowena
@Francesca
@wrenkins
@Cheesecake
@Ellabella
@Kenora
@Pearl
@Bogwoppit

Whatever you have made will be wonderful to your cushionee (Lovely term, wish I had thunk that one up)

So man up Girls and get those cushions sent!!!

I will be away from Wednesday, waaaay before the post arrives so will be unable to post a pic of my wonderful cushion until we have returned, but I do expect to be seeing some gorgeous creations in this thread over the next week or so.

Bravo Girls, this cushionalongathon has been a wonderful sucesss,  Bravo!!!!

Cheesecake

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2018, 13:34:32 PM »
Posted mine this morning  :toast:, hope my cushionee likes it as I really enjoyed making it.  0_0

Kenora

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2018, 17:17:02 PM »
Posted mine this morning too. :) Now comes the nervous wait to see what my cushionee thinks. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2018, 17:20:40 PM »
Excellent Ladies,

i await the pics with bated breath but fear I will be incommunicado for most of Wednesday and Thursday!