The Sewing Place

Any Tips?

Lolli

Any Tips?
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
I'd like to get a dress form but don't know what I'm looking for. I think it would make life easier for adding embellishments to dance costumes/tutus but I may not be making just the one size costume all the time. Are adjustable ones only necessary when making different sizes of non stretch outfits? I will be making non stretch items too.
I know nothing about these things
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:40:56 AM by Lolli »

Francesca

Re: Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:18 AM »
I'd say adjustable is not really worth it unless you intend to do lots of fitting and even then, I found mine rather pointless as I can adjust the waist, hip, and bust but not the bust shape or shoulder slope or bum shape and so it was never close to my shape anyway.

However I can see the value of having something to stand the garment on so you can get a better view of it, or as you say add embellishments.

In your case you can probably save a bit of money too by going for something older and more solid.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
I've been thinking about looking for one of these myself.  I don't want one for fitting, not least because I really don't want an effigy of myself sitting there and depressing me!

I want it for checking that things like necklines and pockets are even and straight etc, and for generally getting a good look at a garment without it hanging from a hanger looking like a sack.

As it will be taking up space in my sewing room/study I want it to be pretty!

Amazon have quite a lot - I'm ploughing through them gradually.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 13:13:20 PM »
I have an Adjustoform which I bought to help with fitting - but you have  to be prepared to spend time adding extra padding to various parts to get it close to your own shape.  Even then, as Fran says, it is hard to duplicate the finer details.  If you were making garments for different people you couldn`t easily adjust it from one shape to another.

It isn`t perfect but I do find it useful and if would definitely be helpful if you were adding embelishments

Acorn - yes it is very depressing seeing an effigy of yourself - mine has to be kept fully dressed when I am not using her!

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 13:26:13 PM »
I have one of these which is very useful for necklines, marking button spacing and that sort of thing. I didn't want to pay the price of a 'proper' dressform and (honesty here!) just couldn't be bothered to spend time padding, cutting and fiddling on with the mannequin to get it to resemble my shape. Too depressing!

I can stick pins into it if needed and it's not too much of an eyesore. It does the job for which it was intended.

[Edited because a stray extra https had got into the link.]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 13:41:26 PM by Acorn »

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 13:42:06 PM »
Thanks Skout - that's very helpful because that's just the one I've been looking at!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 14:36:41 PM »
If you're sewing for different people and/or someone who is growing then an adjustable dressform has many benefits and for me they outweigh the negatives because I'm sewing high-stretch lycra.

Like me, you're fortunate that the fabric we're sewing most of the time doesn't require the same careful fitting to shape that wovens do. I use my Adjustoform with legs most of the time because that's the right one for my DGD and other junior/adult dancers but I eventually bought an adjustable children's size too. The two combined work extremely well.

If we were sewing more woven clothes the benefits are still there, but they do diminish.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 20:42:33 PM »
That's very interesting, thanks all.

My knowledge on this matter is so inadequate I'm not sure if those pretty ones in The Range are actual body forms or just mannequins for decoration

Lollipop

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 21:16:50 PM »
Those decorative ones in the Range are not really true to size in my experience. I have a couple of adjustable ones and one childs non adjustable and use them all the time. You intend making just for your daughter now but, trust me, when the dance school realise that you make costumes you will be in demand.
For embellishing I use a plywood bodyboard now but I used to use a plastic chopping board from Ikea with a Teflon cooking sheet over it to stop the glue sticking. Well stuffed cushions can be used too.
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 22:50:25 PM »
Ah yes, the plywood bodyboard is mentioned in the stretch tutu pattern. I'll have a look at those too.

I'm presuming the amount of adjustment in the body forms is 2-3 sizes per body form? So for instance 8-10 or 8-12?

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 00:59:31 AM »
It's a much wider size range. The one I have (Sew Deluxe Leg Form) comes in 4 size ranges, which overlap - P - A - B - C. Each one covers about 20cm size range. As an example, size P goes from size 2 to size 10; A goes from size 8 to size 16. Have a look here for more specifics.

Lots of different models to choose from. I started with the Supafit in the petite size. If you do decide to go for one of these, I found that Hobkirks of Blackburn were very often the cheapest online which is near enough for you to pop over for an inspection.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
I know Hobkirks, their engineers fix our sewing machine's at work, I'll have a look

Lollipop

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 22:46:28 PM »
I got a great deal on my Pfaff sewing machine from Hobkirks. It was delivered the very next day too!! Great service.
Was Sewnanny

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 22:59:49 PM »
I've had excellent service from them with several purchases (not just the dressforms) too, Lollipop. They've been very responsive to enquiries too.  :)

Lolli

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 23:22:10 PM »
So I thought I'd bite the bullet and buy a dress form from Hobkirks last night only to see on their website that the size I wanted was out of stock. I rang them today to see when they'd get it back in and they've ordered me one direct from Adjustoform at the same price. Free delivery too even though it's not coming from them, granted it'll take longer to arrive but even so you can't beat that for service. I'm chuffed, and excited for it to arrive. I'm sure it will prove extremely useful  :D