The Sewing Place

Any Tips?

Efemera

Re: Any Tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 08:29:10 AM »
I’ve just bought my Babylock coverstitch from then last week...they were really good to deal with.

Lachica

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 13:05:34 PM »
I have one of the polystyrene ones like @SkoutSews because a) I'm tight and b) I only make for myself. I've added tummy padding to her & she wears one of my old bras. Yes, it's a bit depressing looking at her but it so far hasn't shamed me into a diet. She has a nylon stockingy skin, which I peeled off to add bandages around her middle, then her skin went back on. Very useful for checking fit (not on trousers sadly) and being polystyrene pins go into her without tears.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 13:35:56 PM »
I have just taken delivery of one of those too, and I am very pleased with her.  She is wearing a bra (not actually an old one, we are having to share it...  :o ) and has the same sized shoulders, bust and under bust, although she then goes in rather more than I do.  As I want her more for checking shoulders, necklines, hems etc than for fitting, that works just fine.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
Late to the party on this one but I find Ethel invaluable when I want to insert sleeves and like Acorn said to check everything is sitting right, and for pattern matching.  Size wise we are not too off kilter from each other, she wears an old stuffed bullet bra of mine and has the same narrow shoulders but I do envy her rather flatter tummy. 

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
I have a dressform, but I've also just snapped up another from the charity shop.  It's a Singer 150 adjustable, no idea whether that's a good one, but for £10, it's got to be a bargain.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 19:37:53 PM »
I couldn't get on with my adjustaform at all and took it to the charity shop in the end. I have bought a polystyrene dummy and like it much better, it's not exactly perfection but it does the job.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 22:30:17 PM by Surest1tch »

annieg

Re: Any Tips? sewing Quarter 1st July at 1300 hours
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 14:08:28 PM »
I just watched a show where they demonstrated how to pad/modify the adjustoform to your specific size.
Very interesting - I tried out some of the tips on changing the bust cup size and it really worked well.
 :woof:
Anniegg

Holly Berry

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 17:44:56 PM »
I bought one of the cheap polystyrene dummies and padded mine. Craftsy do an excellent course. Cost in total, including course £50. I use mine for fitting.
Procrastination get behind me

Pearl

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 18:00:53 PM »
What do you pad it with, @annieg , @Holly Berry

I might need one of these to go with my growing collection of dressmaking patterns, @wrenkins .   :D

Holly Berry

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 19:46:34 PM »
@Pearl, I used polyester wadding. 2oz to cover the mannequin, then 8oz for padding, this of course depends on how much padding out you have to do  :o You can then tease it out to get the shape. My dummy was bought a size smaller than me ie 12/14 for 16/18 I also bought some L shaped rulers, they were carpenters ones off eBay for £15 for 2. You need to know the depth ie front to back as well as width of the body

I then made a tight fitting calico hip length bodice with princess seams. It had no ease whatsoever and a friend pinned in on me to follow mycontours bulges. So open ended zip allows you to get it on and off you and the dummy.
Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 20:06:28 PM »
I used the vintage wire one I bought and managed to squidge it to my shape.....OMG I wish I hadn’t bothered, the bloody thing looks horrendous.... which obviously means I do to. :S

I wish I’d stayed in my little world of denial!

annieg

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 21:39:26 PM »

My adjustafirm dummy (largest size) is not far off my waist measurement but the bust cup is not big enough So I dressed her in one of my better support bras (G cup) and used old sports socks to fill out the cups.  Her bust point is at now at more or less the same level as my actual bust point (31 cm down from my inner shoulder).
I've just read someone suggesting using bandages for padding (v. Good idea).
I've got loads of old crepe bandages and I'll wrap those around the midriff to make it consistent with my actual measurements.
The hips/bottom area are another story which I will tackle on another day. 

On the programme they had a trouser dummy which I would really like to have if only to adjust RTW trousers which are always too baggy around the top of my thighs.

Anniegg

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 13:57:42 PM »
There's a lovely detailed blogpost Padding a dressform

It's one of my favourite blogs, and has lots of detailed information for vintage owners.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »

I might need one of these to go with my growing collection of dressmaking patterns, @wrenkins .   :D
:o  :o  :o
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

fajita

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 23:36:41 PM »
Surely you pad them with all the old paper patterns that no longer fit?