The Sewing Place

Sew Fitography Software

Francesca

Sew Fitography Software
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
I bought Sew Fitography last year and finally got around to doing the photographs for it this weekend...

It's an odd one. It's basically software that helps you make patterns not based on measurements but on photographs. You take a suite of photos of yourself which are then put into the program and outlined on the software. From that, you can get a pattern (or a sloper) designed specifically for your outline.

I have had a lot of problems with drafting things flat. For example, I have narrow sloping shoulders but a full bust. I also have a tilted waist and rounded hips. Sleeves are always too long for me and I have a deep crotch curve.

Anyway the pictures I took are horrifying so I won't share them with you. It was a laborious process. Boyf had to tape me up in various ways (putting an X on my neck for example. Marking straight lines from my crotch outwards, I even had an X on each bust apex) and then we took a bunch of photos which look frankly ridiculous.

I decided to send the pics of to their outlining service which cost £20 but I am so hoping that this solution works for me. It hasn't been used by many, probably because it's intensive to get set up, but those who have tried and reviewed have all reviewed it very highly.

Here is the site if you're interested: https://sewfitography.com

I hope to get the outlines back in a few days and try out the sloper. Apparently rather than having to then flat adjust the sloper you can tweak the outline on the software to get it right instead. The outline then applies to all their other patterns and you can choose your own ease et cetera.

elephun

Re: Sew Fitography Software
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 16:14:33 PM »
Sounds fascinating! Please let us know how it goes.

jen

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 17:26:20 PM »
I’d be interested to hear how this goes. It sounds like a different approach.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 18:27:43 PM »
I just got my "outline" file back but need time to input it into the computer program. The program doesn't run on Mac so I have to wait my turn to jump on the boyfriend's Windows machine.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 21:13:57 PM »
Well this should be interesting If you want a way to make yourself feel terrible about your figure... here it is! But although it looks relatively awful I'm pretty pleased. This is my personal outline "clothed" in the sloper pattern which is what I'm trying out first. After that I can buy any of the other patterns (the software purchased actually included two pattern credits so I've bought the sloper and will probably choose trousers or a shirt as my next...)

It looks very interesting though and quite promising. Knowing those darts are going to accommodate my shape and such... it should be interesting.

I'm hoping to use the sloper along with my various books on pattern drafting to draft some items I see without having to worry about whether they come in my size or not.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 21:35:17 PM »
You don't look like that in your photographs!

Bootstrap send a 3d avatar with their customised patterns.  I suppose the idea is that you look at it and if you think it isn't your shape you know that pattern has gone wrong, but I really wish they wouldn't!

This is quite fascinating.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 21:44:12 PM »
Thing is, I really do! It's taken direct from my pictures and it's a very true representation of my figure. I guess it's down to how we dress and how we look in clothing vs the very oblique, not that attractive angle these were taken at.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 22:08:46 PM »
You look more of an hourglass in your photo.  That pink checked dress they've put you in makes you look rather matronly!  As you say, this is why we dress with thought, to make the best of ourselves and skim over the parts we don't like.

D'oh - now I have 'Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative' going through my head and it'll probably be there all night...   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 22:00:01 PM »
First stage of sewing up, I'm so impressed.

There are still some changes that are needed. I found it tight all over, which can be adjusted in the software (I gave it all very low ease when I did the printout) and there are also some problems with excess fabric around the upper body. This is something I always thought might occur - my shoulders are my most problematic area as I am so narrow and hollow in the chest. It's actually one of the reasons I started sewing... because I find it very hard to get tops that fit because they are all loose around my shoulders (which as we all know is the worst place to have an ill-fitting garment) but tight on my hips.

Anyway, some pics. I am really really impressed with the back especially. The way it hugs in to my sway back and then curves out with the double back darts the perfect amount to go over my large bum (and I carry a fat pocket above my bum too, which is always problematic for fitting). I've never worn anything in my life which hugs my figure like that. I also always avoid straight skirts, but seeing myself in this I'm actually quite liking it and might even consider wearing a straight skirted dress one day...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 22:01:36 PM by Francesca »

jen

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 05:01:31 AM »
Pretty good for a first try on. Maybe the upper back needs some fabric pinning out, it’s hard to be sure from a selfie. Also, perhaps consider pinning out a bit of the gaping in the front armhole and swinging the resulting dart into the side bust dart. I agree the hip level is looking nice and smooth in the pics.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:23:49 AM »
The back is looking good, although I wonder if the waist darts are a trifle long?
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 19:25:25 PM »
I'm pretty happy with them. They seem to create the right shape for me.

Carol from Fitography got back to me in a matter of hours about my query. She gave loads of advice but suggested as a first step, I add the girth to the waist and hip that I need to see how that influences the shoulder fit. She said that possibly it'd pull the shoulders down which I do think it will a bit, but I don't think it'll be enough. Still I'd rather make small iterative changes than try too much at once. Although it's annoying having to reprint and cut out again, I'd rather get it right at this stage and have a sloper that fits to perfection than try to build off something that isn't quite right.

So tonight that's my plan... second printout and sloper but roomier.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 19:55:58 PM »
I'm pretty happy with them. They seem to create the right shape for me.
I was looking at the 'blisters' at the bottom of each set of darts but as you say, it's a work in progress and I am sure you will crack the fit.

I'm thinking of the Vogue fitting shell, but I think about a lot of things and never actually get off my arse to do anything. :(
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 21:41:27 PM »
Yes good spot actually. It might be poorly sewn darts. I just rushed them together as I was only getting an idea of fit.

I will doubtful ever use the darts in their current set up (I find a princess seam so much more flattering) so will keep them long for my base sloper pattern and then can shorten and restyle them if the time comes.

I'm hoping once this is complete to try and extend the sloper into a nice summer dress. Princess seamed bodice, full skirt, scoop neck and short sleeves.

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 22:37:21 PM »
I think about a lot of things and never actually get off my arse to do anything. :(
Story of my life and I have been doing it a lot longer than you.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.