The Sewing Place

Embellishment, Trim & Applique Shops?

Lolli

Embellishment, Trim & Applique Shops?
« on: March 07, 2018, 22:19:41 PM »
Can anyone recommend any online shops that are good/have a decent range of all of the above? Mainly for dancewear, tutus etc.

maliw

Re: Embellishment, Trim & Applique Shops?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »
Do Maculloch and Wallis have online selling? They supply west end theatres.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:18:32 AM »
Macculloch & Wallis sell online. They have the most beautiful trims and fabrics and stuff, but they're pricey....(really pricey!)

I don't do dance stuff, but I'm aware of Josyrose. I don't know exactly what they supply and if it's what you're looking for. I think I bought some sew-on little stones from them a few years ago.

Sandra.
xxx

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »
Ali Express... It’s kind of a Chinese Amazon...I’ve bought all sorts of stuff, it can take anything from 2-6 weeks to arrive.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 16:04:23 PM by Efemera »

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
I could open an embellishment shop .... sigh!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »
I bought a few bits from JoseRose a while ago and they were pretty fast with the mail order.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 18:55:47 PM »
Lovely, thanks all. I shall I have a look at those  :D

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 17:33:08 PM »
Sorry I missed this. Lace motifs are really popular for embellishing dance dresses and, unlike ballroom juveniles, I'm assuming you don't have to look for a very close colour match to comply with dress regs. They can also give you a really good basis for your stoning design and are often used for hair adornments too.

All three of the big suppliers sell these motifs but they're often called different so the same search term won't work with all of them. Trim It are usually the best value (as is normally the case) and list them as Guipure Lace Motifs, DSI have quite a few known as Pairs Laces , as does Chrisanne but calls them Guipure and Crochet Motifs. You can also check out the Guipure lace fabric when it's in their sales because you can cut out the motifs which will give you a lot for a very good price.

Of course there's always China too! Loads of them but you do have to wait for delivery. I've not used them because of the colour match issue and since my DGD has been in Juniors she's wanted something different. Lots to be found on Etsy as well but all US based and those that I've seen all had very off-putting delivery charges which I really don't understand as  they seem to be able to send a dress pattern very cheaply and quickly which probably weighs more.

I've not listed trim contacts as that's all over the place. Plenty on ebay as well as many other online suppliers.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lollipop

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 16:09:52 PM »
If you don't want to wait for Chinese stuff from AliExpress try Ebay. I use a couple that are good they are, JH Millinary Supplies(may be all one word I can't remember) and The Hingis Collection. If you can wait though, buying through  AliExpress is way cheaper. Alternatively, just come over and visit me and take a look through mine - I have LOADS!!!  :D
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 23:30:01 PM »
Excellent thank you for the suggestions! Buying fabric and cutting bits out is a great idea, you could gets lots that way.

Alternatively, just come over and visit me and take a look through mine - I have LOADS!!!  :D

Hmm where do you live again??

Lollipop

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 19:07:07 PM »
I'm a bit of a trimoholic Lolli  :D
Was Sewnanny