The Sewing Place

buying sewing thread

sewingj

Re: buying sewing thread
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 19:36:25 PM »
My first sewing machine was a Singer in 1975 which broke everything except Molnlycke thread which came on dinky little spools.  I now used Guterman Sew All because that is all I can get locally.  I do like to be able to see the colour so it is the only thing that I don`t buy online (except for black and white of course)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »
I use Madeira for general sewing but only because In the recent past I won a treasure chest and then and then a classic 30 box so enough thread to last a lifetime. Funnily enough my embroidery machine doesn't like Madeira so use Brother or Isacord and Poly from Tysew for the overlocker £5 for 4 reels
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
My main sewing machine will sew with pretty much anything, but my embroidery/sewing machine is much fussier.  It doesn't like Sim threads, which seem to be reasonable quality to me.  Fortunately it does like Gutermann, which is all that I can get locally.  It's a bit less keen on Gutermann cotton, which is annoying because I really like embroidery in cotton rather than rayon.  There don't seem to be any settings to change to do with cotton vs rayon.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »
If you want cotton embroidery thread Madeira Cotona is a good brand - and Tanne is/was the same thread just on bigger spools.

For machine embroidery the imprtant thing is usually that it's a 2 ply thread as that allows the thread to spread out over the surface of teh fabric better.  For sewing seams a 3 ply thread (of equivalent thickness) is stronger. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.