The Sewing Place

My Visit to FOQ

Lowena

My Visit to FOQ
« on: August 14, 2018, 13:22:13 PM »
I went to the FOQ for the first time last Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling on top form and so didn't manage a full day on either day :(
Thursday I spent looking at the quilts, very inspiring. I'm not so fond of the art quilts,wholequilts, nor ones containing lots of applique but there is no denying that the makers are very gifted.
I loved the traditional, modern and pictorial quilts and found the accuracy overwhelming  :D
The Tentmakers of Cairo and the 1718 quilt were added draws.
On Friday, I was not well enough to stay beyond 2.30pm but managed to cram in quite a bit of browsing and shopping......£180 with Doughtys and another £30 elsewhere  :| :|
I bought lots of batiks, extra wide backing, plain cottons and threads for a new project to be started soon...also some bits and bobs from the haberdashery stalls........ not the ruler unfortunately  -<
I was lucky enough to meet up with some lovely people.....Pearl, Twopence,Jobunnie. Sandra ( and daughter ) Lincoln Hobbit, DeafOldBat, StitchinTime, and of course Iminei ( whom I have met twice before  ;) ).... apologies to anyone I may have missed out - it's difficult when people have board / proper names  -<
The Festival wasn't as crowded as I'd expected and there were plenty of seats, although not in the coffee areas. People were generally polite and friendly but there were lots of wheelchairs, pushchairs, buggies to take account of.
The Premier Inn was good as were the 2 restaurants we went to in the evenings.
All in all it was a very memorable weekend... pity it'll probably be a one off but there you go  :toast:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

Re: My Visit to FOQ
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 13:42:07 PM »
Never say never Low!

Who know, I may win the lottery .... which of course will result in my hiring a limo, driving to the four corners of the country to pick up all my friends, then onto a luxury hotel and spa with chauffeur driven transport to the NEC for all four days of FOQ next year !

Ah well we can dream, cant we? Glad you enjoyed it but sorry your heath wasn't up to par!

I am (slowly) compiling an album of pics of the quilts as I did last year for the show ... please be patient folks!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 14:12:34 PM »
So pleased you enjoyed FOQ and sorry I missed you, I saw you at the Linus stand but you had gone before I got chance to say hello. What a haul but it will bring back memories as you sew. I hope you are feeling ok now and no lasting ill effects.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 14:57:56 PM »
Thanks girls. You ( and your fortune 0_0 ) would be no good @Iminei  It's the walking round and standing I couldn't do  :(
Yes @maliw sorry not to have met up. I avoided the Project Linus stand because I didn't want my photo taking  :| Not really much better, I'm fine if I'm sitting or lying down.......peel me a grape please someone  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 16:07:18 PM »
Don't worry, @Lowena , @Iminei will hire the Tentmakers of Cairo to carry you around in a sedan chair. 

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »

Who know, I may win the lottery .... which of course will result in my hiring a limo, driving to the four corners of the country to pick up all my friends,

:'( and moi?
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
:'( and moi?

I figured Imi would send her private jets to pick up the distant "cousins" from around the globe.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 19:58:15 PM »
FoQ 2018
I found this while looking for something else...like you do.
You may spot something familiar around the 14.14 mark.  :) I hope Lucia's not too cold!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:30:05 AM »
No worries .... but check out the excellent stewardship at the 23 minute mark!!!! @Pearl
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again