The Sewing Place

"Green" fabrics

sewingj

"Green" fabrics
« on: February 28, 2018, 20:02:17 PM »
I`m just watching The One Show talking about the problems with recycling plastics and wondering if I should be more conscious of this issue when buying fabric.

I`m a recent convert to sewing stretch fabrics but most contain elastane which I suspect is not biodegradable or recyclable. (I also use polyester thread and lots of other bits of haberdashery which are synthetic)

It seems a bit hypocritical to be moaning about plastic packaging whilst making clothing that also adds to the problem - but I`m not sure I`m ready to give up all the advantages synthetic fabrics bring!

Ploshkin

Re: "Green" fabrics
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 20:48:15 PM »
Fleece is a very serious pollutant.  It sheds microscopic fibres every time it is washed and sheds more as it gets older.  Much as it is very warm, convenient and quick to sew I now try to avoid it as much as possible.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 23:38:18 PM »
They did say that some plastics are very difficult to do without, and even burning those which can't (or can't ecconomically) be recycled does put something back into the system, ie incinerator fuel for making electricity.

If you stop to think about it ALL fabrics have got a downside to them, not just the synthetics.  The cotton industry more or less came about with slave labour, and cotton is still grown by the poorest people of the world, and if it's mercerised there are lots of harsh chemicals involved.  Linen uses huge amounts of water, a precious resource to many, and can contaminate the water courses, rayons are made by chemically breaking down plant cellulose fibres and of course all animal fibres are contraversial for some people.  Eliminate them all and what are you left with?  Animal skins or naked bodies!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:14:43 AM »
Brenda makes good points.  Everything we wear or eat has environmental issues.  We cannot fight on all fronts (it's exhausing).  For some it's not eating animals or their by-products, so you pick your battles and fight as best you can.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
The simplest thing we could all do is not to buy throwaway fashion.

Indeed not making throwaway fashion and using up the fabric scraps might well be more beneficial than worrying about things that we don't know the answer too.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 12:41:56 PM »
I find it hard enough to buy fabrics I like without adding more constraints....

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 13:58:12 PM »
There was something on TV last week about fake fur and how bad that is for the environment   In Denmark they now have mink farms and feel that it is better.  How about.....no fur at all!

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 18:17:43 PM »
Canada Goose fur for their hoods is all scavenged fur. It comes from Canada from animals that die of natural causes. I just thought that was interesting. I have some alpaca scarves that come from a similar idea (deceased animals that die of natural causes, as a live alpaca is far more valuable due to the production of wool and therefore not feasible to kill just for the skin).

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 19:41:59 PM »
Whatever we eat, drink, wear or breath has some degree of pollution in it,  sadly even recycling causes a great deal of pollution.

rowe1311

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 19:49:09 PM »
Sewingj.  I am totally with you on this one.  I struggle with what are the best options.  In reality I think the whole system of fashion is highly polluting, and it is so hard to know where to begin. 

As for me, I have started going back to shopping in charity shops for my clothes, and the only clothes I seem to be making are knickers from old kids clothes, and some leggings.  My kids all get hand me downs anyway.  If sewing is a hobby I enjoy, I want it to be one that re-uses as much as possible, so I have now started limiting my fabric buying, and trying to get as much second hand instead.     

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 17:56:54 PM »
It's quite optimistic that we feel this way, considering we're a group of committed consumers by nature of our sensual & intellectual connection to fabric and fashion.

It's all about balance, of course. You do what you can to be more aware and make informed choices (when you have access to the necessary information). I worked for 10 years (80s/90s) in Environmental Development for a Local Authority and know only too well that common sense choices often have less obvious environmental complications. Cotton requires very high levels of fertilisers (usually inorganic) but organic cotton is thankfully on the increase. As well as using organically grown fabric sewers can also balance their consumption by ensuring they have used materials in their stash and definitely own and use a vintage sewing machine. Gold star to the vintage brigade!  :vintage: :D

Biodegradability has its issues too, it's not something you necessarily want in landfill when degrading materials can cause instability and pollution problems there - if they degrade at all, I recall William L Rathjee's astonishing archeological discoveries in landfills from those days! Lettuces that were still green after decades underground immediately spring to mind.

I try to commit to the basics of moderation in consumption of energy and materials (whatever they may be - including cake these days!) and reusing/not wasting when possible. Our grandkids are delighted when we repair their broken stuff. Of course, that's while permitting myself to enjoy the consumption of things that give me real and lasting pleasure, within moderation...cake again! I do have to give myself a good kicking at times to avoid settling into that cosy complacent groove but it's still a good maxim for life I believe and probably one that most of us think we follow already.

I'm rather out of balance this week as I had a bit of a splurge at the Knitting & Stitching show myself but not so much that I needed a trolley (that's not mitigation for me, just an observation). I have cupboards full of dance fabrics from which I'll make dresses that won't get frequent wear (in comparison to daywear) so LOTS of spandex, I'm afraid, but they'll hopefully be used by many different dancers and thus have a good life expectancy. Some of the ones I've made since 2014 are now on their 3rd dancer. They definitely fall into the real and lasting pleasure category for me. And I've taken in and cut down a lot of my old clothes as I've slimmed down over the last few years and tried to offset the new ones I bought in smaller sizes by looking for styles that lend themselves to the same treatment as I continue to shrink.

It can certainly be complicated but the little things do count.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 18:01:09 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

jen

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:51 AM »
It’s about using a bit of common sense and moderation surely? There’s lots of reasons to avoid piling up wear once fast fashion garments, but using a few man made fabrics every now and then isn’t going to tip the balance.