The king of polyester fabric

UttaRetch

Re: The king of polyester fabric
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 13:37:25 PM »
Do you rank for a dress uniform?

Ravingdoll

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 13:49:25 PM »
They're not provided (in this Force area at least) as they're no longer cost effective apparently.  Those that were issued them previously can still wear them but those of us who haven't don't get them.  For passing out the store rooms will lend you one, and also for commendation awards, but that's it. We even have an agreement with the courts that uniformed officers turn up in their daily uniforms to give evidence.  Except you have to remember to turn your radio off as the magistrates/judges get a bit sniffy otherwise! 

UttaRetch

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 13:56:26 PM »
 0_0  0_0 As one might imagine.

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 14:49:19 PM »
Look on the bright side @Ravingdoll . When you take off your uniform you lose 18 lbs.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

arrow

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 15:41:08 PM »
...I made a top which is 95% polyester and put it on for the first time today.  After an hour I have had to take it off as I can`t stand the way it feels on my arms! 

That's how it turns out in most cases. I have various types of sports wear for when I'm on my bike and I can accept 20% polyester the rest has to be cotton. That's the most practical fabrics when I can't stand polyester. Jackets and wind breakers can be various types of fabric and I don't mind as much, but they have to fit the purpose.

Greybird

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »
All of which goes to reinforce my opinion that the man I am married to is nothing like the rest of society ( one in a million?). He will only wear thin polyester shirts - cotton is "too thick", even in hot weather. I have bought so many really nice cotton shirts and they hang in the wardrobe unworn. Not that he has any idea what they are actually made of you understand, he just reaches unerringly for the polyester ones.

Nevis5

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
OMG as someone who regularly wakes up swimming in my own sweat between only pure cotton or linen sheets, even the idea of polyester anything is making me  :x  can't even imagine trying to wear it just at the moment!

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 13:15:59 PM »
Ah that certain age.  0_0  Been there and have more or less passed through.

ClareInStitches

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 16:55:55 PM »
When in full uniform these days I actually weigh an extra 18lbs!!

Good grief! - And I keep thinking that I should get a smaller handbag to save my aged shoulders. How on earth police persons manage to chase baddies, I cannot imagine. Mind you, just think how much weight training you are getting, Ravingdoll. 0_0

Ravingdoll

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 18:27:31 PM »
When worn it isn’t too bad because a lot of it is the stab jacket and vest and it is distributed and doesn’t hinder at all. It’s when you take it off to put in your locker you realise how much it weighs. In fact the reason I know how much it weighs is because I forgot I had it on and stepped on the scales and nearly had heart failure!!  :S

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »
TeeHee.  :ninja:
I once saw a lady in a shopping centre stepping onto the scales with her handbag over her shoulder!!!
When I briefly had a part time job we were given uniforms in something called "coolskin" (100% polyester) which apparently was the mut's nuts for wicking and cooling footballers  ><. Within a few days customers were complaining about the smell of B.O. The tops were the most horrendous thing ever. Even little sissy ladylike girlies who didn't move a great deal ponged to high heaven! The fabric left red welts everywhere it touched and the place went into melt down. These things had cost millions across the company!! Awful stuff!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
When in full uniform these days I actually weigh an extra 18lbs!!
I do feel sorry for those police who are 'traditionally built' the amount of gear they have to wear just makes things worse.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.