The Sewing Place

Stretchy Enough For A Leotard?

Lolli

Stretchy Enough For A Leotard?
« on: March 12, 2018, 20:54:06 PM »
I've been trying to find the exact lycra my DD's leotard is made out of (I need to make her a new one as it's getting too small). It was made by someone else for a show she was in.
I've not been able to find the colour/design in lycra as such but found this?

https://www.adamrossfabrics.co.uk/product/neon-pink-sequin-stretch-polyester/

It says suitable for dance costumes and gives Simplicity 1444 as an example. They sent me a sample, I've done a stretch test and it appears to be as stretchy as the lycra it's currently made out of. I'd say across the stretchiest part it's got 50% stretch if not a bit more.

Just unsure with it saying 'stretch polyester'. Below is a pic of the current leotard fabric.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 22:51:32 PM by Lolli »

Lollipop

Re: Stretchy Enough For A Leotard?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 21:08:11 PM »
Lolli, I would message them and ask for the composition of the fabric and for a sample. It might be stretchy enough but may not recover as well as a nylon lycra mix. I've had some polyester fabric that had a tendency to go baggy.
Was Sewnanny

Lolli

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 22:56:47 PM »
I'll email to ask about that, I noticed it didn't give the fabric composition in the details.
They've already sent a sample which I stretch tested, didn't distort in any way after me stretching it out multiple times but that's not the same as wearing it/getting it on and off I suppose  :[

Yellowfeather

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 05:44:53 AM »
lots of lycra is polyester, so if you are happy with the recovery and the quality, i would use it.  Just make sure you allow for maybe not being quite as stretchy as plain lycra. (mostly due to the sequin/foil print, not the polyester!}.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
lots of lycra is polyester,
Not exactly 

Lycra is a brand name for spandex, a curly stretchy material.
Polyester is  polyester.

What you are looking for is a fabric which is mostly polyester with a percentage of lycra/spandex.  The higher the percentage of lycra the stretchier it will be.  For very stretchy fabrics suitable for leotards, swimsuits etc you want 15-20%.  For everyday tee shirts etc about 5% is enough.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lolli

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 18:13:02 PM »
Thank you Brenda, that gives me a good guide for when they tell me what it's made of.....that was going to be my next question so you beat me to it

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 22:40:47 PM »
I've been tempted by an interesting print of poly lycra in the past but for any costumes that are going to be worn a fair bit I'd always go for a nylon lycra mix (80/20 is the norm but a few % up or down isn't an issue). Of course you're trying to match a specific fabric so you may not have the option of being so fussy in the end.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lolli

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 23:41:38 PM »
I am prepared for the fact I might have to get something different. I'd rather do that than have the correct design in an inadequate fabric for the job.

My DD will probably only wear it 12 times or so before she's given a new routine but even so, I don't want it to start looking decrepit after 5 wears.

I've emailed to ask the question anyway.

Lolli

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 08:10:57 AM »
The company has gotten back to me. They can't give me the composition of the fabric because they get some fabrics in bulk without any info with it.
In that case I'm not risking it and will continue to search!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:20:59 AM by Lolli »