The Sewing Place

Im new and button hole chissels

UttaRetch

Re: Im new and button hole chissels
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 14:51:57 PM »
So looks like i need to buy the following: ... a seam gauger,? I have no idea how to use one of those or where to start?
A seam guage is by no means necessary, but I find mine very useful and you can see how to use it here.

sewingj

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 15:19:52 PM »
buttonholes I just use a seam ripper or scissors - never had a problem - just work from the outside edge to the middle.

I have one of those sliding sewing guages but the slidy bit quickly got lose.  I`ve also got one of these which I find very useful
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMLHUYU/ref=asc_df_B00BMLHUYU50811935/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B00BMLHUYU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205189075860&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16335902789647657764&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006875&hvtargid=pla-421874118121

Nevis5

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 16:34:43 PM »
I use my seam gauges all the time (have several as I tend to lose the slide bit, or bend the gauge or otherwise destroy them), they make checking seam allowances, hems, spaces between buttonholes etc etc very quick and easy.

Oh and the Fray Check - I squeeze a blob onto a thick piece of spare paper, dip a cocktail stick into the blob and very carefully drag it along the inside of the buttonhole, thus avoiding the drippy blobs and ruining the garment.  (this is a tip from Louise Cutting of Cutting Line Designs).  Works a treat.

DementedFairy

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 17:21:10 PM »
I used to always cut or rip buttonholes, but I wouldn't be without the chisel now...I don't just press with it, I give it  a
salutory WHACK with my hammer.  Just because I can...

My essentials would be needle threaders [but that's because I'm a  blind old bat], wax for good hand sewing, some Clover black gold sewing needles, and this specific sewing gauge

oh, and my cardboard cutting board.  VITAL to my well-being!
C'est moi!

maliw

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 17:47:44 PM »
Yes I have that sewing 'gauge' sewingj and DF, I find it VERY useful. In fact I lost my first one so when I replaced it I bought 2.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 18:22:42 PM »
I love sewing when it involves hammers. Seriously! Press studs, metal buttons, all that. So much fun.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 18:45:17 PM »
@sewingj: the same thing has happened to mine, but I have put some sticky tape across the 5/8 mark as I pretty much only use mine for marking the seam line on pattern fabric pieces.  I do, however, have a spare guage. :D

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 20:47:05 PM »
I love 'em!  Mine snapped, so I had to get another immediately.  Some things cannot be allowed to die!
C'est moi!

arrow

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 21:23:07 PM »
My chissel has a wooden handle, I can't knock it too hard. It's still very sharp and I've had it for years. Only one of my seam rippers is sharp and good enough as buttonholer opener. It takes a bit of effort to find a good ripper, and you don't really know the difference until you have found one. The same with small sharp scissors, most I have found are run of the mill products.