The Sewing Place

Daft question

sewingj

Daft question
« on: March 13, 2018, 19:40:17 PM »
What do all of you quilters do with your beautiful quilts?  Are you making them to sell or just for your own enjoyment?  They are all works of art but there must be a limit to how many you can display

Kenora

Re: Daft question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 19:50:27 PM »
I've made a few for family - but only when asked to.  :) All the others I've donated to various different charities. I love making quilts but prefer duvets on the beds. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 19:55:34 PM »
I’m knee deep in the damn things!...I’ve given some away. Only sold one, it was a rediculously low price but I was sick of looking at it and didn’t particularly like it...so I’ve got about 12 stashed away.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 20:05:56 PM »
I've only made one big one, and that hangs on display above the stairs.
Almost all the others have been baby playmat sized, and gifted to babies.
I have one on my chair. One in a box. And one under construction.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 21:20:44 PM »
I have three, the others have been made as presents - quilts or playmats mostly. One was given for a raffle for charity.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 22:18:41 PM »
I've only made one big one, and that hangs on display above the stairs.

Pic please ...

I make and give away to specific peeps ...Wren, Jazmin, Reuben and next up is Lucia (collecting this week I hope)
and  keep, I have lots of quilts around the house, on the walls and ... more satisfyingly ....
in this recent cold weather, The Opus on my bed!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »
I have made a few for charity, a few for specific people ( won't do that again unless asked ) and the rest are piled up in the workshop. We have duvets on the beds, I hate wall hangings and OH doesn't like them in the sitting room.
It's the making of them I enjoy so I don't mind what becomes of them. Occasionally I look at them... some I have even forgotten I've made  :o :D
I keep thinking I must take some to the charity shop and I have 3 to send to Project Linus.
I would give more away but the hospice and nursing homes won't take them ( laundering probs )
I only work on one project at a time and as I'm a bit bored with my Fancy Forest ... I may be some time  0_0
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »
I currently have one in our bedroom which goes over the duvet when it's cold and replaces the duvet when it's hot, and another in the spare bedroom for the same purpose.  There is one hanging over the banisters, which makes a good display but is actually just waiting to be swapped for the one in our bedroom when I have decorated.  Two have been given to charity shops - one was very basic and the other was just not my colours.

I have also made quite a few cot quilts/playmats which went to godchildren when they were born - oh, and I have another very small one in the airing cupboard which I made for fun.

I am planning two more that will be used in our caravan.  Oh, and many others are planned that probably won't ever get made, so I'll worry about them if and when!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 19:26:05 PM »
I've made many, over 20-odd years. Some have worn out. I used them over chairs ; if the dog/child was sick on them or whatever, a quilt washed much easier than a chair. I have a couple in the living room for cold evenings/decoration. I have sold a few, given some away, made Linus quilts from leftovers, made some as specific gifts, and still there is a growing pile.
Anyone want to offer a good home to a quilt?

JillH

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 15:50:50 PM »
I've made three quilts lately - all for Project Linus.  They donate quilts to the local hospital baby units. These are for very sick babies, each quilt is then taken home when the baby is discharged.
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »
I made two for each of my grandchildren: one for their bed and the other a rag quilt for snuggling under at story time. The bed ones have never seen the light of day, never seen them being used on the beds so I'll never make one for someone again.  :[   A big, big one is on my bed and the rest are draped over the chairs and couches in the house. I don't know what I'll do when I run out of furniture.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
That is so F**** sad .... but please dont take it to heart Rubes; It is not a reflection on your work, more of ***'s lack of style, value and appreciation. I would adore one of your quilts as they are sooo beautiful.

When I gift quilts I always say quite clearly .. If you dont like this or want this please give it back to me rather than bung it in a cupboard or the charity ... I won't mind at all!

And I dont ... One of the very first things I ever gifted was a wall hanging .... this wall hanging

to my Auntie Gell one Christmas.

When we went round a month or so after she apologised and said she didn't like it, adding  ..."have you ever seen anything orange in this house?" Which thinking about it I never had! So I took it back quite happily.

A year or so later I made her a quilt for her birthday ....

As I was making it I started to panic about colours!!!

Her house is beautifully minimillistic with cream walls, sofas etc ... there is only dark wood as a positive colour so I made the Skandi quickly as a standby gift ....

I shouldn't have feared ... I showed her the both and said she was free to choose and she chose the original ... (and I remembered that she loved anemones over any other flower and the quilt has exactly those colours) which luckily was labelled for her.

A few weeks later she called and invited us round, whilst we were there, she took me to one side and said, "I don't want to offend you but I loved the other quilt too and would like to buy it but I only have £150 .... I was sooo pleased  !!! and yes money did exchange hands tho' to be honest I would've given it to her...

When we go round now, the Skandi is on the back of the sofa and just brightens up the room with that quite subtle pop of colour! I made a cushion out of the protoblock to go with it too, as another present for my lovely Auntie Gell.

As for the quilts gifted to Reuben ... his Treasure Map ...

Wren's Spring is Sprung ....

and Jazmin's Pink

I know that each one is in regular use ... which makes me so happy.

And for Rueben who has night terrors and throws up on it, no problem as I bombproof my quilts by machine blanket stitching the binding.

Linkys in case of invisibub pics ...

African Dawn

Auntie Gells Magical Mystery Quilt

Skandi

Treasure Map

Spring is Sprung

Pink
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:26:03 AM by Iminei »

sewingj

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 13:34:58 PM »
The only quilt-like thing I have made was one of those where you buy a panel with a design on - I`m sure you lot would say that is cheating.  Anyway it was Noah`s Ark and I made it into a cot quilt for first grandson and applique`d his name on the back and was pretty chuffed with it.  Daughter in law then fell out with us spectacularly and I`m pretty sure destroyed it.  I haven`t made anything for the grandchildren since

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 15:33:03 PM »
Not cheating in any way SJ ... we all  start somewhere

In fact I believe I started with an already appliqued fabric, which I backed (no wadding!!!) and minimally quilted  ...
and I mean, minimally!

Sorry about the DIL thing ... they can be right shits can't they, but they are venting their fury on the man not you !!

Please don't let that put you off making anything else ... why not join us in the BOM or any other activity in the darkside ?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 15:37:04 PM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 16:49:54 PM »

Please don't let that put you off making anything else ... why not join us in the BOM or any other activity in the darkside ?

Or the cushion cover swap.  Then you can make something as simple or complicated as you like.