The Sewing Place

Down to earth with a thud.

rubywishes

Down to earth with a thud.
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:15:38 AM »
So I managed to get all the  hot pink whiteboard marker ink out of my quilt top by using rubbing alcohol for the quilt and anti-inflammatories for my poor fingers and wrists after an entire afternoon of dab-dab-dabbing and then left it to dry whilst Mr.Ruby and I loaded up the sidecar and headed off for 2 weeks of glorious motorcycling around Tasmania. Next time it will be with our caravan as we worked out that 2 weeks of pub or motel accommodation equals the cost of bringing the car and caravan over on the boat, and I do love my little caravan....but..I digress...ooooo but hang on, let me tell you the weather and the roads were just glorious and for all you bikers out there you know what I'm talking about.... <3 <3...woops, digressing again.....

So, I've finished washing all our clothes, the motorbike is all sparkling clean again, I'm sparkling clean again and DD1 has stocked the fridge for us with fresh milk and bread so now its back to the business at hand....I've poked my nose into the sewing room and there my tortured quilt languishes waiting to have the quilting finished. It's all dry now and the room no longer smells like goodness knows what after all the rubbing alcohol that was splashed around but I've got a severe case of the "nervous nellies" about getting back "into it".

Where I have dab, dab, dabbed the life out of the poor thing it looks a bit "saggy-ish". Should I try to re-pin those sections or can I just start quilting again and smooth out any full bits? TBH, the thing has me spooked as I am going to have to re-draw my pattern (with the right type of marker this time) over the areas that I have tortured and I'm a bit nervous that I may end up with the marker "not taking" or maybe for some reason "setting" due to the "incident and cure" of 2 weeks ago. What do you think?

I have shut the door to the sewing room now fervently hoping that something magical will either happen to the quilt, or to my brain and all will be fine and dandy come tomorrow. I may go and hoover the bedrooms in an effort to postpone the inevitable......now that's a desperate move if I do say so myself! :'(
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Bowerbird

Re: Down to earth with a thud.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »
Don't you just hate it when plans go awry. Maybe a night or two's sleep will help you plan a solution. Have you had a wee experiment with scraps, whiteboard marker & rubbing alcohol to see what happens next.

Digress all you like about Tassie, any time in spent there is blissful. It is one of those little places that takes an awful long time to see. I shall assume you've heard to check availability on the ferry for getting home before you commit to going if taking a caravan. I think it was last year there was stories of quite a wait (weeks) for spots on the return voyage.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:25:58 AM »
I'm afraid I have no advice about your alcohol problem Ruby  ;)  but I know how difficult it can be to pick something back up again when things haven't been going well with it.  In the circumstances, with the uncertainty about chemical reactions, could you do a straight line quilting design that doesn't need marking instead of what you had planned?  (or have you already done a fair bit of the quilting).
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
I agree, hoovering is an extreme reaction and one I always put off until absolutely necessary.

How quilted is your quilt? Is it possible to spay it or dunk until damp and allow to dry in your, no doubt, fabulous sunshine in an attempt that the fibres might tighten back together?

All I would say is that you inspired me to 'skin' my poor ole (s)crappy bargello and re-quilt it and very glorious it turned out!!!!

Nil Desperandum Cobber!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »
Is it possible to spay it

Isn't that what you do to little girl pussy cats? :meow: :meow: :meow:

D'OH!!! hahahahahaha

Imi
xxx
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:47:58 AM by Iminei »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
Oh yes Bowerbird, we know someone who had to fly home and leave their caravan for about 3 months before they were able to arrange time to fly back and then bring the van back on the ferry! :o We always pre-book our return trip. Experimenting with a scrap is a good idea.
Ploshkin, I really like that idea of an alternative quiltng pattern of straight lines...I think I could incorporate that so will have a good "doodle" on paper tomorrow. Unfortunately (or fortunately  ;))unexpected Grandmother duties "call" tomorrow as DD1 is unwell and off for tests in the morning.
Ah yes Iminei.....the oh so exclusive "I've Skinned A Whole Quilt" Club.....we are to be spoken about in hushed and awe filled tones!!!!

Thankyou ladies for your ideas...feeling as though I can pull my bravery pants on and "give it a whack"!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Roger

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
The alcohol should have all evaporated so that shouldn’t impact your next pen :)

I suspect the unevenness is possibly down to the spot cleaning, perhaps a gentle wash or an even wetting and drying might sort it out.

I’m not a P&Qer so I’m not sure how easy a wash would be at this stage.
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »
I know nothing of the processes of which you speak (I live on the light side), but is it possible to do what you need using a Frixion pen and iron off afterwards?

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 15:32:01 PM »
How about a good spray with water on the puffy bits and see if they tighten when they dry.

A bit less drastic than a full wash.

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:58:54 AM »
Thanks Greybird, Roger and Ella...will include your suggestions in my ruminations whilst working out how to spey the quilt (lol)......do quilts have genders? Im? Where do I peek on a quilt....I never learnt that when I was a Veterinary Nurse!!!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:00:53 AM by rubywishes »