The Sewing Place

Catching Up and hoping for a boot up the bum

Lowena

Catching Up and hoping for a boot up the bum
« on: March 14, 2018, 14:55:36 PM »
The Dark Side has seemed a bit quiet recently. Where are you all and what have you been up to?
I need the impetus to get back to my Fancy Forest, I must finish it before I think about my next project.... so......... show me your current work ( I know Iminei will have a squillion unfinished projects on the go )
How do you choose what to do next?
Have you anything interesting in the pipeline?
Has anyone started planning their cushion cover yet?
Come on girls...... let's get this show back on the road..... :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: Catching Up and hoping for a boot up the bum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 15:42:39 PM »
Like you Lowena, I tend to have one thing on the go at a time.  I'm struggling to get my jacket finished that I started in January (I think).  There's only a bit of lining to stitch and some topstitching then it's done.  Once we get out of the winter my time for sewing becomes very scarce and since DH retired last September there always seems to be things that 'we' need to do.  I have been out in the wind and the rain since 6.00am today with just a couple of brief stops for a cup of tea.  I'll be glad when straw season comes round and he disappears for long days in his lorry.

Anyway, I haven't decided whether or not to do the cushion cover swap simply because of time constraints. I've got a couple of quilty ideas floating in my head (I got a very nice batik layer cake recently) but I really like to have a specific purpose for anything I make and just now I haven't got a reason to make a quilt.  I might try and persuade my niece that she needs one.
Life's too short for ironing.

fajita

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 16:45:57 PM »
Since poor dog passed away we have decided to redecorate. I'm supposed to be packing up my cupboards of sewing junk into boxes and storing them in the dining room. I've not actually started yet though. We have thrown out three sofas and an office chair.
I've got 12 houses made, but not fully joined,  because I've not got a fully formed plan of what I want to do with them.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 17:04:24 PM »
More like Imi than you, Lowena, I have many projects on the go.  I decided at the beginning of the year to try to finish some projects before I start anything new, but these things become UFOs for a reason! 

I have made some blocks for a Gypsy Wife-type thingy.  I am planning to incorporate some of the blocks from last year's BOM.  This is a new project.  Efemera made me do it.   ;)
I still have my four-patch chain thingy on the go.  I am piecing the sashing.  I hate it but I've come too far to go back now.
I have been making a disappearing nine-patch for my oldest son for three or four years.  I need some more fabric to finish it off so I'll have a look at the NEC at the weekend. 
I liked the TSP mystery quilt so much that I decided to make a double, rather than the wall hanging that I was making.  I didn't have enough of one of the fabrics so have bought two alternatives.   :(

I love your colourful houses, Fajita.

When I finish something, I may feel more enthusiastic. 

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 17:21:23 PM »
I'll give you a boot up the bum Low!

I've only got unfinished projects because Im running around making blocks that I think you might deign to take part in.

Just made Aprils bOM ...both the block and the pics only took an hour or so .... so  very quick, super easy and uber cute too!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 18:13:08 PM »
I've got a couple of ideas for the cushion swap, it just depends who I get to make for.

I've so much on at the moment (new grandbaby that I'm not supposed to tell anybody about ;)) that cushions are a lovely thing to do.  Not too big and easier to quilt.

I'm really looking forward to it, just hoping a few more peeps can join in.

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 18:31:56 PM »
I have an idea for the cushion swap although I haven't actually put my name down for it yet....I'm sure I will.

It's just that I'm expecting a huge workload of special occasion alterations to start arriving in the next few weeks. I'd hate to commit to the cushion and then wish I hadn't because of how much 'proper' work I needed to do instead. It wouldn't be fun then.

Even so, I'm close to signing up for it. I'd love to join in.

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 18:47:10 PM »
Please all sign up, it'll be quick, fun and may inject some VaVaVoom into TDS

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 21:57:25 PM »
Dear darksiders please carry on making stuff and just tell me about it.....
 I'm not posting a huge amount on the forum but I am reading and longing for a time when I  feel well enough to join in
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

WendyW

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 22:42:49 PM »
I've been working on the Angela Walters Free Motion Quilting Challenge. It's a multi-week tutorial/sew-along practicing different types of stitching. Here's my quilt top, and the beginnings of my quilting.
practice quilt 2 by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

flower by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

nine patch by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

meander by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 05:13:43 AM »
Okay Lowie, I've got my biker boots on so turn your back to me and consider yourself well and truly booted in the nether regions! 0_0 0_0

sigh..... I'm muddling along with the quilting on the poor "texta-incident" quilt. I managed a good couple of hours on it today but I find I am easily distracted probably because I am so convinced it will turn out a mess after the alcohol pummeling it got. And I have another 2 tops waiting under the table to be sandwiched and quilted. And an acquaintance downloaded a jigsaw puzzle app for me which comes with a free daily puzzle which I must admit has me absorbed most evenings.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:16:45 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
I'm desperate to sign up for the cushion thing but also desperately afraid because I'm a complete novice. I have a new machine that is still getting the better of me and I'd hate to let anyone down.  -< This is so unlike me that I hardly recognise it! I'm generally in the "couldn't give a monkey's" camp.   :devil:
I seem to be better at making for others than for myself (ha! A tea cosy and, funnily enough, two cushion covers!!! Not exactly haute couture!) but even so the thought of my scruffy efforts going to someone who knows what they're doing fills me with dread!  :o
If I was advising someone else I'd say "buck up sissy pants!"  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 09:28:28 AM »
@wrenkins ... man up and sign up ... its only a cushion cover! :devil:

@rubywishes ....   I am so convinced it will turn out a mess after the alcohol pummeling it got

Are you calling me a mess ???? How very dare you!!!

@Lowena ... Sign up sweetie, sign up  :devil:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 09:30:24 AM »
If you mean for the cushion cover @Iminei  I have signed up  -< days ago! :P
@wrenkins  no one will judge you, a cushion cover can be as simple as you like......go on......you know you can  <3
@rubywishes now I have a sore bum, I'll need more alcohol pummelling ( by mouth not a rub ) to take away the pain  :D Just finish it, it'll look as great as always  <3
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:34:20 AM by Lowena »

Sheilago

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 21:47:24 PM »
Can’t take part in cushion swap as I’m too busy helping pregnant DD , who is due in July. As I said elsewhere , I’ve been making things for her nursery, but also fitted in a quick baby quilt for a friend’s grandchild and two cushions to commemorate recently deceased dogs ( owners requests!) .   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 21:52:54 PM by Sheilago »