The Sewing Place

Zips for handbags

poptart

Zips for handbags
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Hi folks,
I'm wondering which type of zips would be best for handbags. Up until now I've used up a job lot of nylon zips I got cheap off eBay, easy to work with and cut to size. The metal ones scare me a bit, more potential to break machine needles, but shiny metal does look classier. Then there's the chunky plastic ones.

Do you have a favourite type? Any recommendations?

Ploshkin

Re: Zips for handbags
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 21:58:25 PM »
I've not used zips for bags  but if you are considering metal have a go first way removing teeth from one if you would usually need to shorten them.  I've just done one for my jacket and found it very difficult and it left the zip tape very ragged which was difficult to hide at the top of the zip.
Life's too short for ironing.

poptart

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 14:16:18 PM »
I've not used zips for bags  but if you are considering metal have a go first way removing teeth from one if you would usually need to shorten them.  I've just done one for my jacket and found it very difficult and it left the zip tape very ragged which was difficult to hide at the top of the zip.
Thanks. I watched a Youtube video on that very subject and it looks tricky. I think I'll opt to use the whole zip and put fob ends on. Otherwise I'll stick with the nylon ones.

Bloobell

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 17:35:29 PM »
For my bags, I mostly use the upholstery zips, the continuous length ones you buy by the metre. I feel they're sturdier than "normal" zips and I don't waste much as I cut the length I need.

I buy from Merrick and Day curtainmakers. I buy both the light and dark beige on the reel, and 40 or so zip pulls at the same time. They do colour ones too, with I think about 5 or 6 pulls already in place.

Hachi

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
I personally like the nylon coil zipper for my bags because it is smoother to open and close. (Or maybe I have only used cheap metal zippers...) I buy them as a continuous long tape like @Bloobell .
I like the chunky molded plastic zippers too, but I reserve them for more sporty bags.

I prefer #5 zipper for bag exterior, and may use #3 for small interior pocket.

If you are not sure about sewing a metal zipper but want to have a look of the metal zipper, there is a metal "look" nylon zipper! (though I have never used it or seen it in person so I can't vouch for how metal "look" they are)

Here's a YouTube video of the above zippers. Looks pretty nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCe5mq_i2xo