The Sewing Place

Kia ora from New Zealand!

ygathgoch

Kia ora from New Zealand!
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:20:42 AM »
Just found this forum, so looking forward to reading through the threads.
I took a break from sewing for a few years, but I've just got my mojo back,and am currently learning how to make my own pattern blocks.
As well as sewing, I'm addicted to knitting as well.

UttaRetch

Re: Kia ora from New Zealand!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
Welcome.   Grab a :drink: and go for a wonder about.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »
Hello!  I saw your name and thought 'Ooh, another person from Wales...' but you're in New Zealand!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
Welcome.  I also wondered if there is a Welsh connection with your username or is it just a coincidence (for those who wouldn't know, 'y gath goch' is Welsh for the red cat. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 15:37:05 PM »
Welcome from me too.

Lots of lovely things to read and be inspired by here.

Had anybody else noticed we are getting very cosmopolitan all of a sudden, most of the newbies are not UK based. How very refreshing.  I didn't think of Welsh when I first noticed the thread, I just thought of orange juice :S :S

Seapebbles

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 16:40:31 PM »
Had anybody else noticed we are getting very cosmopolitan all of a sudden, most of the newbies are not UK based. How very refreshing.

As one of the international members, I’m happy to find a friendly place to hang out  0_0
I did, some time ago, register for a now defunct British sewing forum, but really just managed to lurk a bit.  Once I discovered this forum, I became interested in joining the fun here.  I must confess, there might be a side interest here as my heart (in the form of my eldest son) left Western Canada on a plane bound for Glasgow last November for an fabulous career opportunity.  As well, my Father’s parents emigrated from Scotland via New Zealand and my Mother’s heritage is English/Irish.
My husband and myself are making plans to visit our son and do a bit of travelling, along with seeing relatives and just maybe pick up some lovely woollen fabrics along the way  ;). I have not travelled to Britain since I was in my late teens...things may have changed  :D
My main interests here are needle crafts, but there’s other selfish ones for me as well in the form of some of you potentially recommending all the good haunts  :devil:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 16:45:54 PM by Seapebbles »

Seapebbles

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 16:44:24 PM »
Hi ygathgoch  :drink: :vintage: :wool:

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 17:04:00 PM »
Welcome ygathgoch. @Seapebbles, my family is Scottish and Irish and we have distant relatives in BC and Eastern Canada (whom we have visited) and Australia. Your son should love Scotland. He will probably be half an hour or so away from Loch Lomond and from there not far to the Highlands - although you probably have just as spectacular scenery in BC. You should visit the UK and Ireland and, if you do, we'll tell you all our favourite fabric haunts and direct you to Harris tweed, Yorkshire tweed and Donegal tweed!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Seapebbles

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 17:18:42 PM »
@Tamnymore Wonderful! 0_0

maliw

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 20:16:07 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum - enjoy. 0_0 (Funny I remember someone in the old place with the same name, you haven't emigrated in the last few years have you????)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 20:17:17 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too  :toast:

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 21:08:06 PM »
Hi ygathgoch - love the name, and great to see you on here. Glad you've got your mojo back - if it hadn't returned, you'd soon find inspiration on this forum anyway. I'm a relative newbie myself, and everyone is so welcoming.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 22:56:37 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Marniesews

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 23:15:28 PM »
Hi ygathgoch and welcome from me too!

Great name, I keep saying it to myself. The sound of it reminds me of something but darned if I can think what it is!  :[

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

ygathgoch

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 06:10:27 AM »
Ha ha, you've found me out!

Yes, I used to be on the old forum back in the day, with the same user name.  I did emigrate from Wales to New Zealand.  Rain, mountains, rugby, I fancied a change....

I've got a trip back to Wales planned later this year, already planning how to ship back all the goodies I'm going to buy in Abahkhan!