The Sewing Place

Hello from Berks

busb

Hello from Berks
« on: March 15, 2018, 22:45:26 PM »
Hi
Am now a proud owner of a Singer 7640 that's my 1st ever machine. I spent hours on YouTube watching various videos on how to thread bobbins, not to use compressed air to clean or to use cheap thread etc so now know my machine reasonably well.
Have already done some repairs including Lycra cycling shorts & bib tights to start me off. What I lack is experience. My girlfriend's mum thinks I have the basics sorted so off to a good start!
Regards, Paul  :vintage:

fajita

Re: Hello from Berks
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 22:46:51 PM »
 :toast: welcome

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 22:51:38 PM »
Welcome. Whereabouts in Berks are you? I'm in Wokingham. There are a couple of sewing clubs nearby if you're interested.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 22:54:21 PM »
Hello Paul and welcome.

busb

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 23:10:33 PM »
Welcome. Whereabouts in Berks are you? I'm in Wokingham. There are a couple of sewing clubs nearby if you're interested.
Wokingham too - close to the station. Thanks for the welcome!

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 23:24:21 PM »
Hello Paul and welcome to TSP from me too.

It all sounds very positive and great to hear you've started your sewing experience with knit fabrics too! If you want to talk lycra with anyone, head straight over to the dance section (The Show Must Go On) as unsurprisingly it's very much our thing - plenty of experience of sewing lycra there! You'll be very welcome without your tap shoes!  :D

We've also been discussing an Activewear pattern book elsewhere but it's looking a little uncertain whether we'll agree on a positive or negative conclusion in the end.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

busb

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 23:37:24 PM »
Hello Paul and welcome to TSP from me too.

It all sounds very positive and great to hear you've started your sewing experience with knit fabrics too! If you want to talk lycra with anyone, head straight over to the dance section (The Show Must Go On) as unsurprisingly it's very much our thing - plenty of experience of sewing lycra there! You'll be very welcome without your tap shoes!  :D

We've also been discussing an Activewear pattern book elsewhere but it's looking a little uncertain whether we'll agree on a positive or negative conclusion in the end.
Repairing Lycra probably wasn't the easiest start! One thing I've learnt: don't buy cheap cycle clothing unless you want more ventilation than intended!

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 23:51:22 PM »
One thing I've learnt: don't buy cheap cycle clothing unless you want more ventilation than intended!
*snort*
Welcome to the forum Paul.
Regarding experience, we were all beginners once, so when you have questions, just fire away  :)

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 00:26:07 AM »
Hi Paul - nice to see you on here. There's a wealth of experience between all the members of this forum so it's a great place to hang out.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 07:26:11 AM »
Welcome, Paul.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Hello and welcome  :toast:  Good luck with your lycra!

maliw

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 14:01:47 PM »
Hello ane welcome from me too, enjoy the forum and do ask for help/advice if you need it. 0_0
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Roger

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 22:21:01 PM »
Hi Paul,

Grab a :drink:, and have an explore. It’s very chilled so fire away with the questions :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 22:01:01 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too  :drink:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 22:11:57 PM »
Repairing Lycra probably wasn't the easiest start! One thing I've learnt: don't buy cheap cycle clothing unless you want more ventilation than intended!
And you do realise some of those cheap cycling shorts can be quite see-through?  I know this from cycling behind people  :o
Welcome from another cyclist  :)